Deer antlers for chins??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Hi guys! I was on a web site looking at toys to order and saw one made out of pumice stone and deer Antlers!!! Ive never heard of chins having these so I was a little concerned. It stated it was really good source of calcium and nutrient benefit for chins, have you all ever heard if this is good chew toy??:hmm:

Kind of icky IMO, but the problem I would have is splintering, the stuff can make some really sharp bone like splinters, I would worry about the chin sticking themselves with it, either in the mouth, gut or body its way harder than wood splinters. Plus I doubt the chin would even chew it and would not waste my money.

Oh, I have chins that would chew it. But, it's a mystery of what it will do when chewed. Someone has to actually try it out and make sure it is okay. (I used to be more brave, right now I don't know if I'd want to make a guinea pig out of any of my chinnies!)

There's already so much for chins to chew on, I don't know if they need one more thing. It's great to find new things for them, I suppose. Then again about 8 years ago people were putting leather and rawhide on toys and now no one really does it anymore since the chins don't like it as much as other things. I still have a bunch of rawhide that I bought special because it was from the USA and not from China...

Anyway...has anyone actually used the deer antlers for chins? Or antlers of anything else for that matter?

Oh dear... I just keep picturing chins wearing these antlers... like soft, round jackalopes.

Thank you guys I agree and now im thinking the same thing too with the splintering as well! !! Thank you all!

I use antlers for my dog and they are quite durable and do not splinter (even under constant chewing) i have heard their could be issues regarding the calcium content in the antlers (something about cslcium build up in the bladder) honestly even my hefty chewer would probably not touch the antlers and if she did i doubt it would be often enough to cause any issues.

The antlers are super hard. I had them for my dog who is a very powerful chewer but took them away because I was afraid she would fracture teeth (and I've done a few dentals on dogs with fractured teeth from them, so I know it happens.) I'd be concerned about this with my chins too. I know they are powerful chewers as well but the antlers are extremely hard.

I'd be concerned with them being an animal product. Chins are herbivores and they may not process the antlers in their guts very well. I'm not sure though.

A couple months ago my family friend gave me a bunch of wood chews and snacks from when she had a pet rabbit, one of which was a package of antler 'slices' i THINK it was by living world. I put them in with some wood chews to see what my chins thought but weeks passed by and even my toughest chewer wanted nothing to do with them!

The package looked something like this: http://piscespets.com/admin/scripts...ing_world_nibblers_elk_antlers_medallions.jpg

Back