how to get into showing

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chins have to be tagged at ECBC shows and to show at our National show you must be a member of ECBC.

btw, where do i become a MCBA member? I've looked at the site but its a little confusing... thnx.

If you go to the MCAB site - www.mutationchinchillas.com and click on 'new breeder help', you'll come up with a page that has links to the application for membership. There are two pages and the links are right next to each other on the left-hand bottom of the page. Print both of them off, have a sponsor sign it, and send it to me - my address is at the top of the page. And let me know if you have any questions. :)

If you go to the MCAB site - www.mutationchinchillas.com and click on 'new breeder help', you'll come up with a page that has links to the application for membership. There are two pages and the links are right next to each other on the left-hand bottom of the page. Print both of them off, have a sponsor sign it, and send it to me - my address is at the top of the page. And let me know if you have any questions. :)

Oh a sponsor... huh. I don't have one of those. If I come with the application to a show, would some one help me out with that? :)

To join ECBC can we pay our dues through paypal and then send in our paperwork snail mail?

Just go to www.empresschinchilla.com and you can pay through PayPal and download the form to send in. When you get on the site go to join Empress and its all there. If you want to do it at the national show you can to. I'd be glad to send it in for you.

Ok next stupid question.

Do I have to be a breeder to show? Do I have to show my own animals. I can't just buy a pedigreed animal from a breeder and show it? I'm not sure my husband would be keen on the breeding idea (he'd be afraid i'd keep all my babies :D).

From what I understand if you show an animal that you did not breed the credit goes to that person who bred the chin. Also,, I was also told that you need to ask / make sure that you can show the chin if you did not breed it?(correct me if I am wrong on this)

Just go to www.empresschinchilla.com and you can pay through PayPal and download the form to send in. When you get on the site go to join Empress and its all there. If you want to do it at the national show you can to. I'd be glad to send it in for you.

Thanks for the info..My goal is to join before we go and pay with paypal. Just got to get my eBay sales going so I pay for my dues. :banana:

If you know who the breeder is, when you register you put their ranch name down as the breeder.

Otherwise you can show anything you like. :)

I like to take my 15 year old guy around, he likes to travel. He's gotten 5 firsts over the last five years, both MCBA and ECBC.

The judges always get a funny face when they read the 1994+ on the card, comment about why isn't he in breeding... lol.

You never know how your chin will do. They may surprise you with how well they place. :)

Oh a sponsor... huh. I don't have one of those. If I come with the application to a show, would some one help me out with that? :)

Yep, if you show up at a show with your application, somebody will sign it for you. It must be someone that is already an MCBA member who knows that you have chins. Email ([email protected]) or PM me if you have other questions.

Where do you get the ear tags from? What does the tag typically say on it. Does it have the ranch brand with year and number of animal on it?

Quite a few chin ranchers get their tags from National Band and Tag. If I remember correctly, it's the Monel 1005 - someone correct me if that's wrong - but the company will know which one it is if you ask them, too.
The tags typically read the rancher's brand on the back side and a number on the front. If you plan on tagging every animal born at your ranch, you could get the year letter and numbers, but many of us leave off the year letter. Otherwise there may be quite a few tags wasted each year. We only tag the ones we are showing and/or keeping, so we just bought tags with consecutive numbers on them.

Back