What's wrong with the FN 142

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my pans for that reason. I havent had to remove my pans either. I clean them inside then vac and loose poop or odds and ends on the outsides of the pans. It works great for me. I think without the pans Id have SO much more crap all over my floor.

Thanks. Was wondering as I think I may get a couple of bass pans to give a little more sides to prevent poo from being kicked out. I'd rather they fit very snuggly than be loose and easy to remove though!

I know having my pans not made by bass makes mine different, but only because mine are not as "tall" so as I see it, a less of a potential danger... Unless bass has the sides flanged outward I see NO way of space not there... The OP only said a POTENTIAL danger with the space between the bass pans & the cage, so I don't know why everyone has gotten so defensive, I have 4 FN's Myself, the last thing I want to do is discourage chin owners from getting them, I LOVE mine!! :thumbs:

Pix of my pans space...

P8240785.jpg

Please tell Me if bass has/is made/making all other pans different across the Country then they are making for My fellow chin owners in Southern Louisiana...:thinking2:

And a cute pic off Chichi for fun...

P8140671.jpg
:heart4:

Like I said, I see no danger in the space between the pans and the cage bars. Are the chins running or walking on the edge of the pan? Obviously that's impossible. Have you heard of any chin getting their legs caught between the pan and the cage??? They'd have to work very hard to get a paw stuck in there. I just don't see how it could happen unless they can balance on the little sliver of space and somehow have a leg slip through.

Btw, I can't fit my finger between my pans and my cage bars.

How do you think yours being not as tall make them less dangerous? Just wondering.

I'm not getting defensive. But I think it's silly and I think worrying about it is over-reacting, which some chin people are very good at. If you're that worried take the pans out and put the plastic pans in, make fleece liners that act as a pillow, and voila. Or just make big fleece liners and tuck them between the pan and the cage.

Aimee - you've enough space there to install what are called "window stops" at the home improvement stores, if you'e so inclined. Would probably still leave enough play to slide the pans in and out, too.

Thanks Rickman.

Stacie, I think the pans being not as tall leaves less chance of someone getting stuck or wedged. I am not concerned with My spacing just saying that there IS a space, yes My fingers are skinny and it was smushed in there.

I got my Bass pans for my FN142 in February of 2006, I designed the plan for them since they had never done a cut out for a pan before. So I have been using them for approx. 3.5 (if my brain is functioning properly) years now and have had no issues with them. Of course there is a possibility with any cage for a chin injury but I haven't heard of any with a Ferret Nation that I can remember which makes me feel pretty confident about its safety (even the injury in this thread was not in a FN or did I misread that?). Ooh, maybe a ladder incident, not even sure about that? Safety is of course a huge concern for us chinnie owners and I think we all would agree that we all want to keep our chinnies safe. What one person thinks is safe enough another may not, to each their own. One of my old bosses used to say "numbers don't lie" and I would stick by this statement in defense of FN safety, I have read about 0 incidences with the FN, to me, with its popularity, that says a lot about its safety.

I think the O.P. was just pointing out the possible problems wth the F.N. cage!
Obvously, the importance of the correction lies with he individual owner.
As we all know, chinchillas and Murphy's Law go hand in hand - "what can go wrong, will go wrong." Only with chins, you have to add; "especially on Sundays and Holidays!"

I think the O.P. was just pointing out the possible problems wth the F.N. cage!
Obvously, the importance of the correction lies with he individual owner.
As we all know, chinchillas and Murphy's Law go hand in hand - "what can go wrong, will go wrong." Only with chins, you have to add; "especially on Sundays and Holidays!"

Agreed! Kiwi's accident happened on a holiday Weekend at 9pm!

Stacie, I think the pans being not as tall leaves less chance of someone getting stuck or wedged. I am not concerned with My spacing just saying that there IS a space, yes My fingers are skinny and it was smushed in there.
Aimee, IMO, the space around your pan is a potential danger as it is big enough for a chin to get a paw or leg caught between the pan and around a vertical cage bar.

Of course there is a possibility with any cage for a chin injury but I haven't heard of any with a Ferret Nation that I can remember which makes me feel pretty confident about its safety (even the injury in this thread was not in a FN or did I misread that?). Ooh, maybe a ladder incident, not even sure about that?
The accident was because the ledge on the shelf did not meet up with or overlap the vertical cage bar next to the shelf, creating a space big enough to get a limb caught, but at such an angle and size that it was not big enough to make it easy to extract the limb.

One of my old bosses used to say "numbers don't lie" and I would stick by this statement in defense of FN safety, I have read about 0 incidences with the FN, to me, with its popularity, that says a lot about its safety.
Exactly.

Aimee, IMO, the space around your pan is a potential danger as it is big enough for a chin to get a paw or leg caught between the pan and around a vertical cage bar.

Nothing can get "caught" in an open space like I posted, and if it does, THEN SHAME ON ME!!

I wasn't saying that the spacing was a problem to begin with, just that there is a space that most claimed didn't exist... :hair:

As with My newest (4th FN) I have noticed a latching problem on one of the doors as well... I have to push it shut after closing it in order for it to "snap" in... Which isn't really a problem because I check & recheck anyway...

Idk about the height of the water bottles though??? I have only had FN's... Where I have mine looks a little low (the chins haven't had a problem with it in the past 3 years) but I think that it is where everyone hangs theirs as well?? I am speaking of the glass super pet bottles..

(there are 3 horizontal bars across the front, and the "hook" of the water bottle is on the middle bar leaving the "nozzle" just below the bottom horizontal bar)

NOT NIT PICKING , JUST CONVERSING ON POSSIBLE FIXES THAT COULD BE MADE!! :thumbsup:

Back