Show a chin with bitten ears?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsnation

I have a momma who has had a whopper of a baby (again) and pulled him out by his ears. He has bit marks on the ears but he already is over 200g at 4 weeks old and has a nice coat on him. Momma if a very nice girl from Ryerson and daddy has won at shows and has show winners in his line. I have really been wanting to get into showing and think he would be great. Would the bitten ears he a hindrance?

Nope. Ears don't matter as far as the judging goes. Obviously, they look better with everything intact - lol - but he won't be down graded because his ears are beat up.

Yup, just show him, it will be fine. We have one in the show string this year that pretty much just has half his ear lopped off, happened as a kit and no comments have been made, they don't care about the ears or tail.

yea I had just asked this the other day...seeing as my big boy Sambuca has a funny looking dent in his ear. I was told it didn't matter. I thought it was more like dog shows (which I have been to and chinnie shows I have not yet) and they are judged by their overall apperance...

I think our boys will do just fine:thumbs:

Yup, ears and tail don't matter. You know why? During a show, a chinchilla is judged based on how good of a pelt it would make. The standards haven't changed since fur farming. And since the ears and tail aren't used in the pelt, they aren't judged on it. It's funny sometimes though going to a show to see absolutely gorgeous animals that have stumps for a tail or mangled ears, lol.

Yup, ears and tail don't matter. You know why? During a show, a chinchilla is judged based on how good of a pelt it would make. The standards haven't changed since fur farming. And since the ears and tail aren't used in the pelt, they aren't judged on it. It's funny sometimes though going to a show to see absolutely gorgeous animals that have stumps for a tail or mangled ears, lol.

This is partly true. It depends a bit on the judge as to how a chin is graded. They are looked at as far as fur quality goes, but not always just as a pelt. An animal that would make a good pelt will not always make a good breeder, and visa versa. Many judges judge a live animal on how it would do as a breeding animal, although some of those traits do go hand in hand with pelting. A good breeding animal and a good pelt should have dense fur, the right length of fur, good color, etc. Either way, though, ears and tails don't matter as far as pelting or breeding is concerned.

The one exception to that is a screw tail. If the tail lays up over the rear or back of the animal that creates a fur disturbance and many judges will knock the animal for that.

The screw tail will also cause a fur disturbance on a pelt and you will be docked for it. I agree with judge Brenda, they are not always looking for the animal that will make the best pelt. It depends on the judge.

Shouldn 't be a problem. I intend on showing my tripod BV in April at York ;)

The screw tail will also cause a fur disturbance on a pelt and you will be docked for it. I agree with judge Brenda, they are not always looking for the animal that will make the best pelt. It depends on the judge.

oops - yep - forgot about the screw tail. I know some pet people think they are cute, but they'll kill you on the show table.

Back