What to wear?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
I know this might seem like a stupid/unimportant topic to some people who aren't accustom to showing, aren't familiar with it, but this is a question often asked by newcomers to the show-table. So I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about what exactly is good etiquette for the shows clothing styles. So, if those with more experience showing could post the following:

Is there a difference between MCBA and ECBC clothing styles?

What are good colors to wear, and what are colors to stay away from?

Are some shows more formal than others? (e.g. MCBC Nationals vs York)

good question that people often do not think of.

i have not been to any shows other than mcba.

dress is casualy but colors are important especially if you sit up front, are a handler, or an observer (to the judging)

your best bet is white so as not to reflect any hues on the chins being shown. that being said - stay away from reds, yellows etc and if you don't have white than heather gray is a 2nd best and blues are a third.

Good question! I was actually wondering this myself as this will be my first time show ever (Empress Nationals). Is the seating first come first serve sort of thing? I am not showing anything just going but if I wound up sitting near the front, I don't want to do anything to make the chins look bad. :eek:

Both show systems are casual dress. ECBC has a more formal banquet at their National show where we all dress up a bit more for dinner, but during any of the shows we all just where whatever is comfortable.
Of course, you're welcome to wear whatever you like. Just don't be surprised if you get funny looks if you show up in a formal gown or tux for grooming on a Saturday morning! lol :D

Good colors to stay away from at a show, particularly if you plan on sitting in the front row, are red, orange, yellow, pink. Better colors are the cooler colors - blues, greys, black, greens. The reason for this those bright colors can reflect on the chins as the judge is looking at them, and any off-color to the fur will be picked up. Now, this is something the judge is looking for anyway, however, it's not a background that you want all of the chins to be looked at against. Plus, that person will most likely not stay there all day, and when that background is suddenly changes, it messes with our eyes! lol
So, to be fair to all participants involved, we ask that the audience refrain from wearing such colors.

I've wondered that as well, if I need to dress up like I were going to a special occasion or just wear my regular clothing. I figured most people would wear regular clothing since it's so easy to mess up nice clothes with dust bath and other environmentals that come with owning the sweeties.

Good question! I was actually wondering this myself as this will be my first time show ever (Empress Nationals). Is the seating first come first serve sort of thing? I am not showing anything just going but if I wound up sitting near the front, I don't want to do anything to make the chins look bad. :eek:

Yep, seating is first come, first serve. So if you want a seat up front, get there early. :)

The pictures of shows I have seen on various website they all look like they are in jeans but I do want to just make sure. I was thinking nice jeans, casual shoes (I have a pair of nice looking boots) and a sweater.

Wear something comfortable, because its a long day at ECBC Nationals. Last year we started at 9:00 AM and barely finished in time for the banquet at 7:30. Brenda gave you a good guideline as far as colors to wear and to stay away from, which goes for both ECBC and MCBA. I wish Brenda had told me not to wear the evening gown before now for grooming. I wonder if I can get a refund on it?:confused: If you want up front then get there early and mark your territory.

No no, Vicki, keep the evening gown for grooming! The chin fur would slide right off those slippery satins & taffetas, right? Unless its velvet. THEN go for a refund!! :thumbs:

Great, its taffeta. Why didn't someone think of this before. Now I won't have to lint roll myself after every grooming session.:D

I think you should wear the wedding dress. They will all be jealous of us.:neener:

What about brown? I have a very light sweater that I can wear a white tank top type shirt underneath. I have a dark blue sweater and a brown sweater that I can bring. I keep forgetting its going to be a bit more cold in MO than here.;)

Back