Hector, my warrior ? - April 11, 2009

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie

Stuck on Hedgies
Hector passed away on Saturday morning. No advanced notice, when my mom woke up he hadn't eaten his food and was having a little trouble breathing and was wobbly. We had a vet appointment in an hour and were taking him immediately but he didn't last that long. We can only hope that he died feeling safe and loved.

He will be greatly missed in our family and was quite an amazing soul. Rescued from a very bad situation and discovered during a building fire, he came to us blind and petrified of human voices. Over the year and a half that we had him, he became the smartest and bravest hedgehog we've seen (but I'm sure there are many out there). He ran freely in our living room for hours, navigating amongst the furniture as if he could see as clear as day. He played with his toys, loved chasing his mini soccer ball around, and would come when he was called (mostly because he knew that if he came he was going to be rewarded with some fantastic treat - papaya was his favorite). He never did warm up to human touch until his death when he cuddled on my mom's lap as he passed. Tim and I were sadly coming home (as fast we could) from a weekend trip to be there for him and did not make it on time. I wish we had been there to say goodbye to him, I had no reason to think his time was coming.

Our home is quite lonely right now with two open cages. I guess that means we have room for some more rescues should any arise. The loss of Hector has been very hard, he was our first rescue, our inspiration if you will, and he will not be forgotten. When it is this painful, I find my self wondering how other rescues manage when they have several losses. I guess it is that we make them happier, even if it is for such a short time.:tissue:

IMG_2668.jpg

Oh I am so very sorry. He is now in Peace at least and does not have to worry anymore.

I am so very sorry April. He sounds like a miraculous little boy.

RIP Hector. I hope that your vision, along with your faith in mankind, have been restored over the Rainbow Bridge.

Oh April. I am so sorry. You were so awesome to rescue this boy and give him a wonderful home. Although he did not show it by allowing cuddles, I'm sure he knew how much you loved him and cared for him.

RIP Hector the Warrior :cry3:

I'm so sorry April. Hector was such a special guy. I loved the video that you had posted of him running around to the tune of 'Misirlou'. I know that his faith in people was restored because he spent the last year and a half of his life with the best people he could have ever found.

I'm so sorry he passed away. He seemed such a wondefull little boy and he spend the last time of his life well cared and loved. RIP Hector.

I am so sorry that you could not have more time with the beautiful Hector. Although you never did get that special cuddle time with Hector, he may have given you his final gift of love in the only way he knew how to give. He spared you his leaving by waiting until you were away. You gave him a wonderful life and we all enjoyed seeing the pictures and hearing the stories as he thrived in your company. Thank you, Hector, for letting us share in your life.

Im so sorry April! ((hugs))

Rest in Peace Hector. You were very loved.

Oh, no... I'm so sorry about Hector.:( I remember his rescue story from the very beginning on CnQ as well as the wonderful vid clips posted on YouTube. He was such an amazing creature. He was an ultimate example of how unconditional love could transform a shy, scared hedgie into a very special "friend". I'm so happy for Hector that he had found you and learned to trust humans because of you. I know he'll be watching over you and your family from Rainbow Bridge cheering you on to continue your rescue effort - he wants other hedgies in need to feel as safe and happy as he was with you. Rest in peace, Hector the warrior. You'll always be remembered by us.

:( I am so sorry about Hector's passing. I too remember the wonderful videos of him running around and exploring. I was just amazed by him, especially knowing he was blind. I'm so glad he had such a loving home with you, and that he went peacefully. Rest in peace, little Warrior.

I'm so sorry about your sweet little Hector, April! He was so lucky to have found a loving home with you!

I am so sorry to hear about Hector. He is one of my favorite hedgehogs. I loved hearing stories and seeing pictures of him. And the videos, I loved "Hector vs the Big Wheel. He was so lucky to have found you.

I'm very sorry about your Hector, what an amazing hedgie to survive for so long (but not enough) after that fire. He now can see and eat all the papaya he wants over the rainbow bridge!

Oh Charlie, I'm so sorry for your loss. You definitely gave Hector a better life and one of which a hedgie deserves.

Back