Sick Chinnie, advice needed.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto what Stack said.

SO glad he's doing so much better Crysta!!! Great news. :D

I remember when you were only giving him about 5ml of CC - now you are up to 25ml each time? I knew you could do it!!

Yes Ma'am. I found a syringe in the baby section of WalMart that works the best for both of us. I also figured out the consistancy of CC that he likes the best. Trial and Error. I think the 5cc was when he was eating it off the spoon. Once I was feeding him through the syringe I started to get more in him.

After I get home from work, because he hasn't eaten in 8 hours, I am usually able to give him 30cc before he starts fighting it off. Apparently he likes a full belly.

Crysta - You need to feed a minimum of 45 mL of critical care just to maintain weight, according to Oxbow. I find that varies by chin though. Some chins need 60 to maintain weight, others are okay on the 45.

So no, you are not feeding him too much. I had a boy here, who while sick, was eating 110 mL of critical care a day and it just very slowly inched him up in weight.

Congrats on him doing so well! I told you - we aren't paying attention to the vets dire predictions. :)

Is that dry or with the water added?

I wasn't ever really paying attention to his dire predictions anyway. I was just so afraid for him when he was having those problems breathing. After the very first nebulizer treatment he was better (after the vet said not to), and after the second he acted like he was just peachy (short of not eating on his own). I still have no complaints about the vet though. He was very throuogh and he is welcome to his own opinions, just like I am welcome to mine.

That's with water added per their directions. If you have to make it thinner, then obviously it will be more.

At this point since he still doesn't seem to be drinking on his own should I give him a bit of subq? Or should I just keep going with the one thicker, one thinner, one thicker, one thinner?

You can test his hydration via the pinch test. Grab his skin in between his shoulders and pull up. If the skin snaps right back, he is hydrated, if it takes awhile for the skin to go back, then yes I would suggest some subQ fluids.

What I did with Loki was prepare the CC as directed, then I'd give him about 5ml of water syringed after his CC eatings. Or, like you said, I'd just water the CC down more.

Back