How To Make Fleece Liners.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most chins leave fleece alone, but there are some that are known to shred fleece.

You know what that means? My chinchillas will shred the fleece to pieces in 10 minutes :p My boys will chew anything they can touch... if they're not too expensive, it wouldn't hurt to try. Thanks!

When I used an absorbent layer, my chins chewed holes in the liners. Now I just use two pieces sewed together, and they have not chewed through a single liner. I don't know what they had against the middle layer, but apparently it was not feng shui... ;)

If one way doesn't work, try another! I've found fleece at Wal-mart as low as 98 cents a yard (it was a close out sale), but typically it runs about $4-8/yard. Best of luck to you!!

Yeah, how do yall dry your fleece? It seems like to me every time i put them in the dryer they get smallerrrr

Thank you all for the instructions. I was just wondering how big the hole for the FN cage is for the opening. We are getting one for Edgar and would love to have a few liners sewn before we get it at the end of the month.

I just realized I never posted an update. I used these instructions, made nice liners (too small, but my own fault), and my chinchillas love them! They don't chew on them like I thought they would... my girl decided her Chin Spin was a better chew toy :p She doesn't like the liners, I think they're too fluffy for her, but the boys like them. Twilight will literally pull up the liner and get underneath it. I ended up switching her liner to a single fleece piece and it's perfect.

Edgar was a good excuse to talk my husband into a new sewing machine. I really appreciate these instructions because now I can do the liners. I'm also going to do tubes and other things and it's fun. So far Edgar has a bed and is not a cloth chewer so it's a great a addition. I can tell he sits in it because it always is full of poop in the morning.

Thanks again for all of your help!

I take my FN liners and put them on the fleece upside down then take a yard stick and lay it next to the pan and draw a cutting line on the outside of the yard stick! I can't measure for crude and this seems to work for me. I usually have liners slightly larger than I need but I'd rather have them too big.
I have not put a liner inside I just use 2 pieces of fleece and leave one end open. Just in case I decide to put the pan in it instead of the fleece just laying on it.

When measuring cloth, don't pull it tight, just measure as it lays smoothed out on a flat surface. Make sure you add in for seam allowance on all sides, 1/2 to 5/8 inch should be adequate for liners.

Clipping into the corners (just to within a few cm of the stitches, don't cut through the stitching) should allow for smooth corners when you turn the material right side out.

Last edited:
Hello Can put a puppy pad on top the fleece and cut the plastic off around the puppy pad
And use two fleece sheets underneath the puppy pad or is that a big No

Back