What are the best Chinchilla cages to get?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittxo

So I used to have two chinchillas but recently my youngest one died randomly, so I'm trying to make my first chin really comfortable by upgrading her cage..

Right now I have a simple cage from petsmart that I got with my first chin.. it works out fine except for the levels being plastic and the outside wiring is flimsy.. I HATE that I can't find a cage without some sort of plastic in it! I recently found a website, http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/ and was thinking about getting "the chinchilla skyscraper" but I'm not sure if I should. I know if I get it I'm going to cover up the metal levels with wood so her feet don't get stuck, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying that money for the cage if I'm just gonna make changes to it anyways. Anyone know of a place with really good cages or if that's a good one to get? I can't get a cage with wheels or anything on it because I don't have enough room. Thanks! =)

I personally don't like the martin's cages since they are all wire..they can be really heard on chin's feet. You'll find that the two most popular cages are the Ferret Nation 141 & 142, and the Quality Cage townhomes/mansions.

Here's a thread showcasing what members have done with their FN's. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134

Unfortunately you do have to modify many cages to make them safe for chins. The FN you do have to modify a bit, but the QC comes with wooden shelves and everything. You can take the wheels off of the FN.

I was looking at those cages but I'm kinda worried about the height of it. Do you have to put the legs and storage area on it when setting it up? Cause without the storage area it would probably fit. Also where do you get those deep metal pans from for the bottom of the cages? my chin is constantly creating a huge mess with her litter. Thanks! =)

This is the cage I bought for my chinchillas. Ferret Mansion Cage - 37 in. x 24.25 in. x 56 in.

You do not have to put the bottom part of the Ferret Nations. You can assemble it so that the cage sits directly on the floor. The single level (141) is definitely enough space for just one chin. Both of my girls are seperated into single levels.

The metal pans are from Bass equipment co. This is where you go to order them: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

I prefer Ferret Nations because they feel more open to me than the cages with the smaller bar spacings. I hate calling it a cage, I always call it "the chillies' house." I also love that they're roomy and very sturdy.

I was looking at those cages but I'm kinda worried about the height of it. Do you have to put the legs and storage area on it when setting it up? Cause without the storage area it would probably fit. Also where do you get those deep metal pans from for the bottom of the cages? my chin is constantly creating a huge mess with her litter. Thanks! =)

You don't have to assemble the legs/storage area, you can just start assembling with the bottom of the cage. I've seen pictures here from people who don't use the legs.

The pans are from: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx The ones on that page are specifically for the Ferret Nation.

EDIT: Sorry, posted at the same time as Isabella!

With the martin's cages, you can request that they not include the wire shelves, and they will drop the price some. I've purchased from them a few times recently due to needing baby-safe cages, and always request modifications, which they are more than happy to make. If you do get a Martin's cage, I also suggest requesting that the door be larger.

My chinchilla's home is the "high rise" from martins cages, both her and I love it! It does suck that it's all wire (minus the bottom) but all the wire spacing is 1/2"X1/2" which is the wire spacing requirement for chinchillas. Lots of space, both height and width! i just bought it recently and working on replacing the wire floors with wood shelving.

Back