Hunchback

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, guess that wasn't your chin.

Whomever has the mosaic posted, that is really young to have that severe of a back curvature.

I'd have him separated and start working on and watching his diet and urine closely.

Last edited:
I'd start by fixing his diet. There's something causing that distress.

I just give them hay and pellets, the four cases I got started looking normal after 3 weeks, though one had white teeth and I supplemented for that at the same time.

It may not be the feed, it may be that he has something else going on. I've never had one get it while I've had them, just come in with it. I've never had it not clear up. One severe older female took 3 months. Wish I could find the pictures of her, she was disgustingly horrible.

If he is only 5 months old then I'd give him time and just watch his development - he's probably "at that stage" where they can look a bit necky/gangly/hunched. He's got a fair bit of filling out to do yet. :)

Thanks Claire. I've been really optimistic about Siri, he's 5 month old and been fed Mazuri, alfalfa cubes and raisins since he was old enough to chew... I have a feeling that is why he's hunched. He's steadily gaining weight, so I think he'll be ok.

Thanks for everyone's concern. :)

Thanks Claire. I've been really optimistic about Siri, he's 5 month old and been fed Mazuri, alfalfa cubes and raisins since he was old enough to chew... I have a feeling that is why he's hunched. He's steadily gaining weight, so I think he'll be ok.

Thanks for everyone's concern. :)

Well if he was on a rubbish diet from very young that explains a lot - it's more diet related than just normal "gangliness". I do hope that no permanent organ damage has been done but it is hard to tell at this stage - time will tell.
I take it you've got him on a better diet now? ;)

Well if he was on a rubbish diet from very young that explains a lot - it's more diet related than just normal "gangliness". I do hope that no permanent organ damage has been done but it is hard to tell at this stage - time will tell.
I take it you've got him on a better diet now? ;)

Oh yeah, I've kept them on the Mazuri because they don't really have any problems with it (as far as soft poo goes) but I have considered changing them to Oxbow, which is still an option. But they get loose APD timothy hay of course and no raisins...

I've debated with the Mazuri/Oxbow because we all know Mazuri is a little higher in protein but I have it available to me in large bags. So I don't know, I've been looking around to see if I can get the Oxbow in larger quantities.

Well if he was on a rubbish diet from very young that explains a lot

I don't want people to think Mazuri is a rubbish diet, it's not. Mazuri and alfalfa cubes are a fine diet. Not the best, but not going to cause what you are seeing. (Edited to say in a young chin, they can cause bladder stones later in life with that much alfalfa)

Nor would the raisins unless he was given a large quantity daily, and it would disappear fairly quickly (sugar induced). How long have you had him?

The reason I posted about separation earlier is that sometimes dietary issues are caused by cage mates not allowing adequate access to food and water. You say "they" - did you get them together? Are they related?

The chins I got with it were on the fiesta diet and one was on cat food. At the time I was using Mazuri and they all cleared up.

I don't want people to think Mazuri is a rubbish diet, it's not. Mazuri and alfalfa cubes are a fine diet. Not the best, but not going to cause what you are seeing. (Edited to say in a young chin, they can cause bladder stones later in life with that much alfalfa)

Nor would the raisins unless he was given a large quantity daily, and it would disappear fairly quickly (sugar induced). How long have you had him?

The reason I posted about separation earlier is that sometimes dietary issues are caused by cage mates not allowing adequate access to food and water. You say "they" - did you get them together? Are they related?

The chins I got with it were on the fiesta diet and one was on cat food. At the time I was using Mazuri and they all cleared up.

I've had them for almost a month and yes, they are brothers.

No offense, but I disagree with you, after researching and reading what others have to say, I believe it could've been caused by his previous diet. So like I said, I'm being optimistic and watching him steadily gain weight (which is a GOOD sign btw) and hoping for the best. That's all I can really do at this point other than making sure he continues the healthier diet we provide here.

I'm going to disagree with you Spoof - imho giving raisins and too much alfalfa to a young chin (in this case under 5 months) is a rubbish diet - it's like feeding a kid sweets. I was not commenting on the Mazuri.
All a kit needs are good quality pellets, hay, fresh water - no treats until 6 months unless it is a mini (unfrosted) shredded wheat.

You can both disagree with me, I am saying that his previous diet does not cause what you are seeing.

He's 5 months old. A month is more than enough time for that to have gone away.

The females I worked with were all older, as in 2+. I don't know the exact ages, they took a lot of time because they had fatty liver and it takes a long time on a proper diet to 'fix'. The one that had gastro issues took less than two weeks to come around.

Maybe I'm explaining this wrong....

The hunch isn't permenant, they hold their back like that because they are in pain. It's gastrointestinal, fatty liver, there are several organ and dietary ailments that set it off.

If you fix what is causing him the pain he will look normal immediately.

You can both disagree with me, I am saying that his previous diet does not cause what you are seeing.

He's 5 months old. A month is more than enough time for that to have gone away.

The females I worked with were all older, as in 2+. I don't know the exact ages, they took a lot of time because they had fatty liver and it takes a long time on a proper diet to 'fix'. The one that had gastro issues took less than two weeks to come around.

Maybe I'm explaining this wrong....

The hunch isn't permenant, they hold their back like that because they are in pain. It's gastrointestinal, fatty liver, there are several organ and dietary ailments that set it off.

If you fix what is causing him the pain he will look normal immediately.

Not necessarily - my first post explains other reasons for a (general) hunch backed appearance.

Is Gabby looking ok then? She has always had a "dip" since I got her, and she is fed well and no sugary treats here

Attachments

• Gabby 155.jpg
    Gabby 155.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 37
  • Gabby 152.jpg
    Gabby 152.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
Can you tell me what that means: fatty liver? And, holding their back in pain--sounds
awful. If the hump is persistant, even with a really good diet, how bad is the outcome?

Back