hello from kansas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha2

Hi, my son who is 13 is really wanting a chinchilla and Ive been helping him research and well Im finding them very intriguing myself.So cute and hyper.
I have lots of questions. My biggest concern is keeping them cool.I hate the cold and prefer to keep the house warm..
But we are thinking of buying a small a/c unit for my sons room if we decide this is the pet for us.
We really enjoy watching youtube videos on these little guys.
Hope to find out more about chinnies on this forum..

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to learn. :D

My parents tend to keep our house pretty warm too. My chinchillas have their own room, heat is blocked off to that room and they have their own window a/c unit.

Doing research before getting a chinchilla (or any pet) is awesome. You might be able to find a rescue or member here near you that have a chinchilla that needs a home when you are both ready to get one.

Welcome! Yes, chins are very sweet and engaging animals for sure! :)

An AC unit is essential for these guys, so a small AC unit for the room the chin is living in is a great idea. Check out all of our FAQs and read posts, there is so much information here.

Welcome! AC is a must in the room the chin will be living in. Chins are fun little characters. You've come to a great place to learn about the.

Thanks everyone. It will be awhile before we make a decision, we are investigating sugar gliders as well.
I really do worry about the heat, its the biggest obstacle I can think of so far.Also Im severly allergic to timothy hay but was hoping to use the hay cubes instead of loose hay.

Welcome! I am also allergic to timothy hay. Usually if I don't touch it i'm alright. I'm also REALLY allergic to their dust. Usually my boyfriend will given them the dust bath and then once everything settles down, i can enter the room again. I hope this forum really helps you with your questions :)

Back