Former Sugar Glider Owner Switching to Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessd

Hello,

My last Suggie passed away recently and we decided to make the switch to chinchillas. We already found a breeder but now preparing to for a new fur baby.

So far this forum has been a great help and everyone has been so friendly! I am so glad I found this site!

Welcome! I just adopted my first chinchilla 4 months ago and I've found this place extremely helpful. I hope you enjoy your new companion. Don't forget to post pictures when you can!

I am planning to have one by January. I am one of "those" people who like to take lots of time preparing the cage and supplies before even looking at available pets. The initial investment is so much and I do not believe in credit cards. I would rather have an empty fully stocked cage for a couple months that is SAFE than rushing and buying things just to replace in a few months.

The only thing I haven't fully figured out yet is the wheel situation. I know plastic in the cage is a big no no, but I haven't found any affordable metal wheels online that are safe either. Is having a plastic wheel for the chin to play with during daily supervised play time acceptable?

No plastic wheels, period. It's not even just a matter of chewing -- they're too small, so they curve the spine of the chin, and can do so permanently, if the chin runs on the wheel too much.

Yeah, the metal ones are expensive, but they are worth the money and they last forever. If you really want your chins to have a wheel, put a little money aside each month until you've saved up for one.

Welcome aboard! :)

Regarding wheels, you honestly don't *need* one at all if the cage is large enough for proper exercise, or if you allow out of cage time. If you do get a wheel, you shouldn't allow the animal on it until 6 mo. of age once they've more or less stopped growing. And if you're purchasing from a breeder, the odds are that your chin won't have been exposed to wheels anyway. I had to 'train' two of mine with healthy treats before they took to a wheel, and since it was a Chin Spin, the wooden part got peed on to a point I couldn't repair it. I'm upgrading them to the Flying Saucer as soon as I can rearrange the cage to mount the thing safely. The money is worth it if you're going to provide a wheel, and my choice is the Flying Saucer because in the (ime rare) occasion parts need replaced, they're easier to find and swap than some of the other types.

I have chins and a sugie (sugie is about 12 years old). I can say that the chins are a lot less messy than my glider! To be so little, they sure make a big mess...but I love him! Welcome, I'm glad you joined us! Sorry to hear that you lost your glider.

Back