Canned cat food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just wondering if anyone has input on the various forms of canned cat food? I'm talking about pâté vs. shredded, etc. I was straightening the cat food at work today, and the question popped into my head. I'm thinking of feeding Mr. Dillinger some canned cat food to make sure he's getting everything he needs.

I feel that I should also mention that particular brand I was looking at at the time was Blue. No Friskies or Fancy Feast, only the good stuff for Dillinger...

Input, anyone?

I give canned cat food to my hedgies as treats... at least that's what I tell them. The other reason is that, if they get sick, I can often mix a little of their meds in with the we cat food to help disguise it.

I stick with the canned stuff that matches the brands of dry food that I feed. Right now, I have a lot of the "Blue" variety... Blue Wilderness, Blue Healthy Gourmet, Blue Spa Select... But I've also fed Innova and Wellness. I like the Wilderness because it seems to have a stronger flavor/a better "hide the medicine" quality to it than some of the others. That and Halo/Spot's Stew.

In terms of pate, vs chopped, vs sliced... I've purchased all versions. Based on how much is left in their bowls, my hedgies really go to town on the pate and seem to have more of a difficult time with the tender slices. I see plenty of nibble marks on the slices, but they don't really work their way through it like they do with the other kinds.

smhufflepuff, you have been so kind to me, in answering all these questions that I've been asking. :) Thanks so much!

I bought a few small cans of Blue, and I've been feeding Dill a spoonful (by spoonful, I mean like 1/4 teaspoon, if that) a couple of times a week as a treat. Maybe next time I'll get some Wellness and see how Dill likes it. The pate seems like it would be easier to eat, as one could just kind of slurp it up since it's just a bit thicker than a purée. Not that I've put much thought into this or anything. :p

I may try some wet food with Sonic. He might like it, so far in the 3 months I have had him and Lena Bean they dont seem to be picky eatters. I will have tell the girl who is taking Lena to try a little wet food as a treat. I hope Lena Bean is going to be happier with her cause she will be getting the attention she needs and deserves. I know I will miss her and her I dont care who you are Im going to ball up and jump at you additude Lena Bean has.

Last edited:
Back