The DIY Melamine Cage Club =)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really interested in getting a Melamine cage built. There is no way I would ever be able to build one, but Andey has a full wire cage, and the mess is just insane! If anyone has any comments or pros and cons of the Melamine cages, it would be great. Like, what to do with the wood shelves and wood if its peed on? What is the bottom floor made out of? Is there anyone around/near Northern Illinois that makes these cages?

Pro's
Keeps the mess more contained
Easy to clean and wipe down
You can pick how big or small it is!
Appealing to the eye.

Con's
Those lil beavers love chewing the wood that keeps the shavings in!
Heavy to move!
Can't rearrange as much since you don't want a bunch of holes everywhere.

I use the brackets for hanging shelves. I just unscrew the wood, and slap a new piece down. You can go with tiles on the floor vs shavings. The bottom is also melamine so easy clean up there too.

I think this is totally the way to go, too bad I dont know anyone who is a good carpenter. With the tile on the floor, wouldnt there just be like big puddles of pee, if they were to pee on the floor? Andey pees on his darn shelves now, which drives me insane, but I would love to do this. How easy is the process of making one? And again, if you guys know of anyone in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin that makes these things, I would love to place an order. ;)

Back