Grooming Tips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a little hard to explain...but I'll try. When you shake out a chin, you hold them by the base of the tail, letting their front paws (and sometimes all four feet if the chin isn't squirmy) onto a surface like the floor or a table, then shaking them gently but firmly side to side, emphasis on the rear end. This evens out a comb job and "poofs" their fur out evenly.

Will this just move their front feet as well as their back end? Just making sure that I have this idea right in my head lol:cute:

The front end will remain somewhat stationary, its their back and especially rear end that gets shaken.
To help keep the chin stationary, I'll hold them by their ear also. So one hand is shaking the tail end and the other is holding the front end stationary.

To help keep the chin stationary, I'll hold them by their ear also. So one hand is shaking the tail end and the other is holding the front end stationary.

hold their ears like pinched between two fingers??? hmmmmm....

Do people mind when a newbie comes up and asks to watch or for help with grooming at a show?

hold their ears like pinched between two fingers??? hmmmmm....

Do people mind when a newbie comes up and asks to watch or for help with grooming at a show?
lol, I promise it doesn't hurt them. It just keeps their heads still.

I don't think anyone minds when people watch or ask for help. They may not have the time to help in some cases, but can tell you who to speak with if you need instruction.

A bitey chin gets the double-ear pinch. :)

Edited to say I've got a biter, maybe I'll video me grooming her and put it on youtube for you guys. lol. She may be a screamer too, never know.

Put up a video of the above mentioned techniques.

Couldn't find a comb other than my #1 so used a young gal, she was suitably feisty. :) Normally I wear a pair of jeans and have a towel I put on my lap. They can and will bite through your jeans.

Oh yea she was pretty fiesty. How long do you hold her ears like that? Or is it only for combing the back of the head/shoulder area? That was a very cute pose at the end. haha.

Just long enough to get the neck/chin area. Many don't need it, thankfully. Your arm gets very tired trying to do 20 or 40 in the two or three hour grooming time.

Back