Refuses to eat, diarrhea after two weeks still...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoogy

Hey!

So, Darwin is growing up into a beautiful boy (already almost 4 months old!!! Wow!). After having him for two weeks, I decided to start my slow switch of food. The breeder had him on Purina Indoor Cat. So when I went to the store, I got Darwin a bag of Innova Cat Light. I started very slow (only a few kibbles among his own food for the first 4 days, then the plan was to gradually put more good, less bad food to have a complete change in 3-4 weeks...

Only, I never got to do that... he refuses to eat the new food. He eats every of his Purina kibble, leaves all the Innova. I was ok with it at first, assuming one day he'd grab one accidentally, and then he'd see that it's good too! I waited a whole week. When nothing changed, I decided to cut to 50-50, hoping he'd taste the Innova quicker that way. He still left it all.

I even tried giving him a 25% Innova, 75% Purina mix and not fill up the bowl until it's empty, but then he eats only Purina for a while, then only Innova before he starves. This gave him diarrhea of course. I do not want to put him (nor me for that matter...) through that again :(

It's been three weeks since I first started the switch, and I'm still on the first step... I can't go higher, he just won't have it! So I've decided to simply change the Innova to something else that he'll ideally like better.

In your experience, what dry cat foods have been a hit for you with your babies? What is the "best tasting" good quality food out there? Darwin seems to want that one instead of the Innova...

Thanks for your help! :D

Sandra & Darwin

Mine love, love, loooovvveeesss Blue Buffalo! I didn't think she would, but it was a huge hit and it's full of good stuff.

Thanks! I looked it up, I've never seen this brand before. I live in Canada, maybe it's not sold here? :S I will look into that on Monday!

Also, I noticed there are plenty of different kinds... Do you simply feed the indoor cat? Thanks!

When I switched Hamlet's food, I buried his favorite food with the new food. He still dumped most of the new food to get to the old food, but he would eat a little of the new food.

Smoogy, not sure if you've heard of G & E Pharmacy, but it is the bomb for every and any brand of cat food you can get! lol. located on 82 avenue, just east of 75 street, on the north side of the avenue, across from that Mcdonalds. go check it out! i love that store, used to do all my horsey supply shopping there back when i rode, and now go there for awesome prices on my chin's pellets, hay, and other misc supplies sometimes.

Thanks everyone!

It's what I've been doing Hammy, but he just won't have it... he really dislikes it, so if it's his main food, I don't wally want to force him something he don't like, lol!

Raindog, Thanks! I guess I can try that one, maybe give it a go :O lol! I just hope I find the right one soon :( I don't want to waste too much on different foods XD

ChinnyMom, funny! I live not even 10 minutes walking distance from G&E! I'm just a bit south from it, I can almost see it from here XD I love that place, been going for years! Cheap treats! I get my ferrets' and hamsters' food there, and that's where I got the Innova that he won't eat :( Do you know if that Blue buffalo is sold at G&E? If so, know which area? I always get lost in the cat and dog food section XD hahaha I know where the Royal Canin is... it's the easiest to find...

Originally, I was gonna get the Chicken Soup for Cat's soul Light, but the only two small bags they had were not sealed properly :(

I contacted a few pet food makers when Cooper first came to live with me. He was an extremely picky eater and finding a food he would eat was a challenge. When I contacted these companies the answer I got from each to the question "do you sell sample sizes?" was "we guarantee our food, if you buy our food and your pet will not eat it, return it to the pet store and they will refund your money." I know for certain that blue buffalo was one of those companies. I think it is part of their agreement that in order for a store to carry them, they must honor the return.

You can always ask the store before you purchase just to double check that they will take it back if your hedgehog won't eat it.

If anyone lives nearby, maybe you can ask them for a small baggie of food to try out. I have given samples of food before. I usually have extra that I throw away before the kids eat it anyway, so sharing a little is never a problem.

Thanks to both of you!

Kalandra, I like your idea! Do any of you know other Edmontonian Hedgie Owners from this site? I don't know if I can get a large variety of kinds through little bag donations XD We shall see :p lol

Unfortunately, I was SO sure he'd love Innova (my ferrets LOVE the Evo...), that I didn't keep the receipt, I don't know if G&E will take it again, but I will ask them about returns as soon as I go back :)

I would still love any other food brand suggestions though! Thanks!!

Boy food likes just vary greatly. Here are some foods I've used in the past. Some I've only taken out because dietary requirements of my current kids.

Fromm Mature gold
Felidae
Katz-n-Floken
Innova, Lite or Sr
By nature organics
Blue Buffalo
by nature weight control

Other popular foods... most say their hedgehogs love them, but mine didn't...
Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul
Natural balance pea & duck

Smoogy, i'm not sure of all the food brands at G&E, i just know it's a floor to ceiling maze of cat and dog food through that whole right hand side of the store, lol.

give them a call to see which of those brands they carry that Kalandra listed. their number is 780-469-7667.

Thanks Kalandra for that list! I will see which I can find here!

Thanks ChinnyMom, that saves me from googling it XD lol Thanks!

Just called G&E! They carry both Blue Buffalo and Felidae brands! I will try those two out first, and we shall see afterwards :p

Thanks very much for all your help! Hoping he likes something! :S

Also, I asked them, and they do do that return if pet doesn't eat, and they will also take in my bag of Innova! :) Yay! lol

Thanks for everyone's help!

not a problem, happy to help!

as for the G&E number, was easy peasy to post it up for ya, it was already in my cellphone contact list, lol!

Thanks! I looked it up, I've never seen this brand before. I live in Canada, maybe it's not sold here? :S I will look into that on Monday!

Also, I noticed there are plenty of different kinds... Do you simply feed the indoor cat? Thanks!

I live in Calgary....so it is definitely sold here just harder to find. I use Spa Select Light, but again it is not easy to find. Blue Buffalo is a hit right now! I know Super Pet carries it.

Good luck! Whatever brand you end up getting, you should make sure it has a protein lower than 35% and a fat lower than 10% (at least thats what my vet recommends).

It's been a week now... he seems to eat the Blue Buffalo, and no diarrhea! :D I will keep him on only this one until he's use to it, then maybe add a seccond just in case :) Thanks everyone!!

Back