What do you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do straight CSL (Chicken Soup Lite) with a bit of fresh food. My old man still has been going strong!

I see that alot of people are doing a mix of diffrent foods. I have found that my little guy as of right now will only eat Innova. I have him on the lite right now with grape nut ceral added. How important is it to do a mixture?

I don't think it's that big of a deal... the Innova should be fine as is. It's low fat and has a good protein source. Some owners diversify for palatability. I do a mix of Innova lite and a higher fat kibble because my hedgies like the taste of the higher fat one better.

I mean, there are some people who can live on broccoli, chicken and rice (me). Some people need a different meal every day... as long as it's well-balanced, it should be fine.

Brown's Zoo Vitals is not acceptable hedgie food. Since hedgies are naturally insectivores, they need a high protein sourse. This food does not provide that.

I would steer clear of commercial hedgehog foods as they are not nutritionally beneficial to the animal. Commercial pet food companies keep making foods for hedgies as if they were rodents... they're not. So these foods aren't very good for them.

I would check out the FAQs and stickies about this topic. Although some of the cat kibbles look expensive, buying high-quality cat food will save you money in the long run and keep your hedgie healthy.

My cats do get the same as the hedgie, only a bit more thrown in for hedgies. CSFTCLS lite for both. Samples of kitten food for the babies added in.

Right now Annie is on a mix of Blue Buffalo cat food and Spike's Delight hedgie food. I'm weaning her off of the Spike's.

Anyone feed the same thing as their house cat?

Depending on what you feed your house cat depends on if the hedgie can have it or not. If you feed your cat a good quality food like Wellness or CSFTCLS, then they could eat the same thing. If you normally just pick up a store brand or something from wal-mart, it probably wouldn't meet the nutritional requirements. My cat tends to get what's leftover after I've made my hedgie's mix (I tend to only mix a few ziploc bags worth of food at a time since a bag lasts my hedgie about a month and I don't want too much food at once so it will go stale), so my situation is a bit backward from what you asked: my cat gets fed the same thing I feed my hedgie. lol

Satin's kibbles are: CSCLS light, Wellness Indoor Cat, and Spike's Delite Premium.

She also enjoys mealies, an occasional cricket, and baby food - peas, green beans, sweet potato, butternut squash, & carrots.

Mine are getting the kibble mix I got from Jenn at Hedgie Haven when I bought my 2nd hedgie. (First was a rescue) I am going to be ordering a mix though from Pat (I believe that is the name??) which everyone seems to really rave about. I have found it hard to find enough variety and get it in small enough bags that it doesn't spoil before it gets eaten w/ just 2 hedgies.

Mine also love their Eagle Pack soft cat food (Lucy needs her kibbled mixed in it to get her to eat her kibble) and mealies. I've tried a few other fruits and vegetables as well as cooked plain chicken, but everything just seems to depend on their mood.

Back