Lily ate a bell "ringer", impaction questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info about the gas versus injections, I'll remember that for the future. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how often this needs to be dealt with. The vet mentioned a few chinchilla filings but I don't know how frequently he does them.

She ate another 6ml of CC since my last post and is continuing to pick at hay and pellets (mostly hay). She's finally just settled down to rest in her hidey house so I'm going to give her a few hours to sleep before bothering her again. The wheel has been removed, the only thing she can jump on is the top of her hidely house.

ETA: Vet just called to check on us. He misunderstood me earlier and thought I said she was falling while running on the ground. He said the anesthsia could cause her to be a bit out of it when jumping and such and that it should wear off by tomorrow.

Last edited:
My vet also uses gas. As for your bill, 100 CC's of subq fluid?! That's a LOT of fluid. Did he charge you for the fluid itself? If he did I would check him on it because there is no way a chinchilla could take 100 CC's fluid in one sitting.

My vet also uses gas. As for your bill, 100 CC's of subq fluid?! That's a LOT of fluid. Did he charge you for the fluid itself? If he did I would check him on it because there is no way a chinchilla could take 100 CC's fluid in one sitting.

I may have read it wrong it says:

SQ < 100 CC Sub-Q Fluids

and no he didn't charge me for that.

Just making sure about him charging you. As far as I can tell it does say he gave her 100CC of fluid, though I can't see it happening. Most vets are fine, but I have seen some try to nickel and dime you to death so I was just looking out for you. :p

Thanks for looking out for us! He knocked a few of his services off the bill, I think he feels a little bad that the other guy ripped us off so much. I'm very greatful for his kindness.

Lily lost another 10g last night, so she is about 80g under her usual weight range. I got 15ml CC in her this morning which is the most she's ever taken in 1 sitting. I'm hoping to get a total of 45-50ml in her today. I figure she'll probably need to be handfed for awhile until she starts feeling better, how will I know when to start weaning her off the CC?

BTW she does have access to hay and pellets but she's only picking at them.

Thanks.

I hand feed 60-80ml a day a couple of days after a filing on chins with just points, then cut out the evening feeding and see if they eat anything in the bowl, then weigh every morning as I cut out additional feedings, if I see a dramatic drop I resume for a day or so and try again. Its easier to wean a chin who hates CC than one who loves to be hand fed and loves CC.

Back