grooming comb

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the clarification on the combs and the posting of those videos. I saw the second one back when I first got Chipper. He was in need of... something, and I was sure it was a combing. We both got upset the first time I did that to him. I don't think anyone ever held his tail before and it's the only time I've ever seen his ears get red.

I ended up with a fine-toothed, all metal dog comb I like to use on me more than on him. My plastic hair comb doesn't dig into his thick fur. It just combs the surface and can't get in to separate it so there is a need for the comb to have fine metal teeth. I'll be looking into getting an actual chinchilla comb even though my chin won't be entering any shows. Why should the show chins be the only ones that get pampered? My dog comb is probably just fine but Chip turns around and bites it rather than me and I'd rather it was wood so he doesn't hurt his teeth. This is a new behavior that occured during the last grooming. I'd rather go shopping than go to the vet! ;)

Tara - we need a video for on here for the FAQ's. It would make it so much easier than searching around for a good one. You want to volunteer??

When combing if you look at the base of the fur if it is white it is "living" fur, and if it is not it is dead fur. If you're getting a lot of living fur you're combing too much, or pulling too much. If it's dead, keep going.

I've heard of people using the hack blade for finishing but have never seen it. Most use rollers or their hand. I've found the roller is better for dark animals, where are the hand works well for lighter animals ( like whites) which is probably a difference in fur type.

I've used a flea comb on my chins but the teeth never really get "into" the fur, it just seems to slide over the top and doesn't really do anything. I assume this is because flea combs have the rounded teeth instead of pointy teeth like chin combs?? Or is it my technique?

I once tried to groom a pet store chin with a flea comb and it did a horrible job. The teeth are too blunt to get down into a chin's dense fur. A chin comb is really the only way to do it, in my opinion.

I also have used a hacksaw blade to "sweep" off the loose dead fur over the back and sides after a rough grooming also. Margot Neubauer showed me that trick and it really helps.

Anyone know where to get a chinchilla grooming comb? I've done an online search and didn't come up with any valid links. Lots of "how to groom" advice but no combs for sale. Do any forum members regularly sell them? I saw an old classified for a limited supply going into show season but I'd like to get one now if I can rather than wait.

I bought my comb from the Ryerson's at a show one year. I believe you can order them online by e-mailing them or their website. Go to their website www.ryersonchinchilla.com and click on Paypal Shopping Cart in the upper right. Then find the link for combs.

A #3 is a good general comb for pet people who aren't grooming their chin for show but just as general maintenance.

Tara - we need a video for on here for the FAQ's. It would make it so much easier than searching around for a good one. You want to volunteer??

Totally in my copious free time. :rolleyes: I should include grooming babies. I still can't find my other three combs... I do use a sawblade though, have three different sizes. There's multiple ways to use them.

Sorry about the no response to people, I have been working 12 hr days and in training the last week so not online much at all. I have sent responses to all I received emails from now.
Jeri

Back