New house

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

keninphilly

So I went to the local pet store (Monster Pet) and saw the chinchilla cage expecting to see that awful plastic igloo in there.

What I saw was a pleasant surprise!

This is what was in there:

http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/46301/2890212717071394026.html

I immediately asked the manager about it and she stated that she heard that someone was complaining about the plastic so she got these! I bet you a million dollars that it was me. I always complain. YAY for a pet store that actually listened to my concerns and actually took action!!!

Well, I decided to buy one right on the spot.

It appears to be pine, but the package is in German. I must have looked like an idiot sniffing it to determine what wood it was.

Anyone see these before???

Edited to add: this one says "hamster house" however I got a larger one that looks exactly like it that said "small rodent house".

Last edited:
Cute! Do you have any idea how it's put together? My chins are both chewers so nails scare me. What pet store did you get it at? Was it a chain? If so, which one?!

Wow - 2 pet shops that listened to members in a week! I guess some actually listen to complaints!

Cute! Do you have any idea how it's put together? My chins are both chewers so nails scare me. What pet store did you get it at? Was it a chain? If so, which one?!

It was a local chain to the Philadelphia area, I believe. The store is called Monster Pets. http://www.monsterpetsonline.com/

The top of the house has little wood "lips" that it slides into. The ramp has two phillips head screws that fit into two holes in the bottom half. However these screws can easily be removed and either glued on with Elmer's or perhaps a large wood peg be inserted into the screw holes to attach to the bottom.

I haven't put it in the cage yet because, of course, I will take the whole thing apart and look for any metal and then Elmer's glue it back together.

The Trixie items have HUGE nails in them. They are made from Chinese Fur except for the bridges. The bridges are made from willow and do not have nails in them.

I have those items in my store but I am going to pull the houses until I can find out more about the wood. When I bought them my supplier told me they were all made from willow. The company says the houses are made from Chinese Fur so I want to look into that.

I wouldn't leave them in a cage personally. The nails are about not the small ones you see in other houses, they are about 3 inches long. One of the house was smashed when I received it so I was able to see them.

I do have one of the houses in my play area and the chins jump off of it.

What a cute little house! Too bad for the nails, I was expecting the pieces to slide one into the other as for most other wooden houses.

The Trixie items have HUGE nails in them. They are made from Chinese Fur except for the bridges. The bridges are made from willow and do not have nails in them.

I have those items in my store but I am going to pull the houses until I can find out more about the wood. When I bought them my supplier told me they were all made from willow. The company says the houses are made from Chinese Fur so I want to look into that.

I wouldn't leave them in a cage personally. The nails are about not the small ones you see in other houses, they are about 3 inches long. One of the house was smashed when I received it so I was able to see them.

I do have one of the houses in my play area and the chins jump off of it.

I took apart the house and I only found the two screws. I don't see where there are any big nails like you mention. Hmm... Can you describe where they are??? If I have to, I'll take the whole thing apart piece by piece and rebuild it with Elmers.

It's absolutely amazing to me how many of the wooden houses out there have metal and nails in them. I just stopped buying from the pet store altogether and got some lovely houses from Linda at Simply chintastic. They are very well constructed, and thick KD pine so they will last longer. Definately worth it.

I think it's a shame when screws and nails ruine a perfectly chin toy...silly chins and they chewing needs...lol

But yay for another pet shop finally listening to people!!!:clap:

http://www.trixie.de/trE/thtml/index.html

Here is the site for that brand. I actually looks like a very innovative company, and was started by one guy, just like a lot of the chin suppliers here.

Instead of just complaining about say nails in a otherwise good product, let the company know you want something changed! It's more marketing power for them when they give customers what they want.

The company says the houses are made from Chinese Fur

Chinese Fur? Like chin fur, or mink fur? Maybe rabbit fur? I believe you mean Fir.

http://www.trixie.de/trE/thtml/index.html

Here is the site for that brand. I actually looks like a very innovative company, and was started by one guy, just like a lot of the chin suppliers here.

Instead of just complaining about say nails in a otherwise good product, let the company know you want something changed! It's more marketing power for them when they give customers what they want.

Chinese Fur? Like chin fur, or mink fur? Maybe rabbit fur? I believe you mean Fir.

Excuse me for my typo! ha! Did you see the time I wrote that?! ha Before my coffee!

As for the product, I am still looking into Chinese Fir. I found this:
http://greenwoodinternational.com/products_chinafir.htm

I think that they are very cute but as I've said on my site I wouldn't put them in a cage. I personally deal with my supplier who distributes the product in Canada and not the company. I've talked to them about the product. I do hope they change the way they put them together. Pics tonight when I get home from work.

I think it's a shame when screws and nails ruine a perfectly chin toy...silly chins and they chewing needs...lol

I don't see where screws or nails ruin something. Just pay attention, replace any screws with stainless steel if they are exposed, since they are probably zinc coated and toxic and nails aren't normally an issue. If you see one, pull it out.

I am just going to take it apart and glue it together again.

I just threw out all 7 of my wood superpet houses I always heard if you just keep an eye on them and pull out nails when you see them they are fine. zi had them for years. Then one of my pregnant females went on a chewing spree and overnight exposed a huge nail and gashed her foot open on it. Out they all went. I'm too paranoid to buy from the store now I'm gonna go through one of our forum suppliers.

I just threw out all 7 of my wood superpet houses I always heard if you just keep an eye on them and pull out nails when you see them they are fine. zi had them for years. Then one of my pregnant females went on a chewing spree and overnight exposed a huge nail and gashed her foot open on it. Out they all went. I'm too paranoid to buy from the store now I'm gonna go through one of our forum suppliers.

Yea, I heard that before. Watch and if nails start appearing, take them out. Yea, right. I would be worried at night.

Unfortunately, I bought it on a spur without thinking about the possibility of nails or staples, probably because I was so elated that they took the plastic igloos out. I tore the whole thing apart and have yet to glue it back together, assuming I can, because taking it apart required a hammer and now there are a lot of splintered pieces. sigh....

Back