Silver surfer wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Harley. How loud is it compared to the chinspin?

I just bought the 14" silver surfer and it should arrive by the end of the week. chinchillas.com told me that they are no longer selling the 16" (which is too wide for the cage, anyway).

u manage to get it? I just check the site and it is already out of stock!:impatient:

I realized something this morning as Red was running in his Chin Spin. The Silver Surfers have been in service for much longer than the Chin Spin has and get much harder use, I have one in a cage with 5 chins, and they still make no noise and the bearings are perfect and don't wobble. The Chin Spin is starting to make noises and wobble so I will be needing to replace the bearings.

Menagerie: That's really good to know. In fact, I need to replace the ball bearings on my chinspin, too. Not looking forward to it. It is such a monster to position in the cage. We had to drill 4 holes into the melamine wall for the screws and trying to properly align everything for re-installation will be a nightmare.

ppsamm: Before I bought the silver surfer it was listed as out of stock. When I e-mailed chinchillas.com to inquire about when they would be getting more, I was told that they actually had one left (which I bought) and would have more in stock in 7-10 days. So the silver color should be available again in about a week, otherwise they still have purple.

Hayley: Thanks again. I'm relieved that it won't be any noisier than the spin.

When you get it, can you update the thread? I am interested in one as well, so I would love to hear other opinions on it as well.

According to UPS, my silver surfer is due to arrive tomorrow. I might not get it set up for a couple days as I'm preparing for a Thurs morning seminar and reading like crazy. Maybe if I get a lot of work done tonight, I'll have some time to set the wheel up Wednesday night. We'll see.

I bought the Silver Surfer for Trixie about 4 years ago. She loves it, and even sleeps in it. If we have any complaints at all, it is that it is not as quiet as we thought it would be, but it only gets really noisy when she runs about 90 miles an hour in it.

Just received the silver surfer, but I'm a bit concerned. There are four screws in the center of the wheels interior. Should they be screws or ball bearings? I know that someone who purchased a Leo Braun off of ebay noticed the same detail, and it was thought that the former owner mistakenly replaced the ball bearings with screws. My surfer is brand new from chinchillas.com, but it still struck me as strange.

Aaach! I'm at home right now and desperately trying to finish my papers for tomorrow's seminar, but I'm going to be worrying about this all afternoon.

Just received the silver surfer, but I'm a bit concerned. There are four screws in the center of the wheels interior. Should they be screws or ball bearings? I know that someone who purchased a Leo Braun off of ebay noticed the same detail, and it was thought that the former owner mistakenly replaced the ball bearings with screws. My surfer is brand new from chinchillas.com, but it still struck me as strange.

Aaach! I'm at home right now and desperately trying to finish my papers for tomorrow's seminar, but I'm going to be worrying about this all afternoon.
The screws are perfectly normal. They are holding the bearings and bearing cover on the back of the wheel. There are also screws in a similar place on the Leo wheels.

I installed the wheel about a week ago, and the chin is finally adjusting to it. His old wheel was wearing down and required more effort to start spinning than the new silver surfer. Thus, when the poor little guy tried it out the first time he ran with too much force, toppled out and got spooked. Knock on wood, I think he is getting the hang of it. I really hope he enjoys it and gets a lot of use out of it.

ppsamm: I checked chinchillas.com and the silver surfer is listed as back in stock, but the purple one is out, however.

Back