Never Showed Before, Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sight

Hello,

I have been interested in chinchillas for the past year or so, and been an owner for the past couple of months. But i have been thinking about show chinchillas. We have alpacas and I have been showing them for the last 5 years and really enjoy it, so was thinking about chinchilla shows. First off, do you have to have more then one animal to enter? What is required to enter an animal into a show? Where can I find a list of local shows to get my feet wet and see how things run?

You can show more than one chinchilla. In fact, you can show nearly as many as you can bring, IIRC. Anyhow, that's what i did, went to a few shows and watched and learned, now this year I'm ready to go and get into the swing of things.

check MCBA and Empress chinchilla websites.. look here for shows listed.
you can show 1+ animals... you dont really need anything in order to show at any show other then Nationals. You should tag, but you can usually find someone to tag the animal for you.

To show through ECBC or MCBA you need to be a member(i believe). With either you can show as many animals as you would like. Some of the big breeders show 30+ animals at one time. You also need to register your chins and it is usually a $5.00 fee to do that as well. ECBC you have to ear tag your chins, MCBA does not require this. Both have Nationals and smaller shows throughout the year.

The best way to learn is to go to a show. We are attending the ECBC Nationals this year and its our first show. I am very excited and cannot wait!

There is an MCBA show in PA in April, a New York/New England show in September and shows in Ohio in May and October. You do not need to be a member unless you want to show at Nationals.

You may show as many chins as you like. It will cost you $5-6 an animal, depending on the show. You will want combs to prepare ahead of time. You'll need a birthdate and animal number (breeder ranch brand with number). MCBA does not require ear tags. That's all!

Becky

Sorry all but you may not show as many as you like as there are limits. No more than 20 can be shown in a single color section at MCBA shows. On ECBC shows you may not show more than 20 standards or 20 mutations per show.

Sorry all but you may not show as many as you like as there are limits. No more than 20 can be shown in a single color section at MCBA shows. On ECBC shows you may not show more than 20 standards or 20 mutations per show.

Hmmm... didn't know this.. thanks for the update. :)

Yep, at ECBC it is a limit of 20 standards and 20 mutes. While you don't have to be a member to show at ECBC field days or claim shows or state shows, you do have to be a member to show at our national. The limit at our combined pelt show is 30 pelts. :thumbsup:

Back