grunting/snorting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also lost a chin to electrocution. It's not funny or cute at all when they die a slow, painful death because their body is slowing shutting down despite everything you have done to save them.

Zappa-fied, I know how fun and cute our chinnies are but, like very small children, it is our responsibility to protect them. Protect them from dangerous or deadly fights, protect them from biting wires, eating something they shouldn't while out, feeding them healthy food and clean water, etc. It's a lot of work right there along with all the fun. Please be responsible with the health and welfare of your chinnies. Really, that's what we're all fussing about. We aren't just trying to 'pick on you' but we want you to continue to have fun with your chinnies and that will only happen if your chinnies stay healthy and happy and safe.

Zappa - You might consider getting a playpen for your chins. They aren't super expensive, you can buy expansion packs for them, and you can put a lid and a bottom on them. That makes for easy clean up and a much safer contained area.

A lot of people have had issues with their chins chewing cords, furniture, baseboards. Aside from being dangerous for the chin, who wants all their stuff destroyed? You can still deck out a playpen with all kinds of funness, you just get to contain it better and not have to be constantly on your guard every time your chin is out that they are going to destroy something new.

Here's a link to a Ware playpen: http://www.amazon.com/Ware-Small-Animal-Playpen-Large/dp/B000HATR70

And Sandi on here uses one like this, maybe even this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04GWC1EC10Q8HB2MHDS2

Soooo much easier to keep the little buggars contained.

I am saving for one of those playpens!

But Zappa, you look pretty creative and handy, I bet you could make a super cool very safe environment for your chinnies with the tools you have on hand.

We would really all hate to see something happen to one of your babies.
And they are like little children, while they may have gotten shocked and survived, they probably dont remember and will still chew the wire. And it is already so damaged, that all they may have to do is 1 nibble and they could get burned. If you dont have time to build the playpen, I would just unplug what is plugged in while they are out for play.

thanks guys, for all the replies. it means a lot and opens my eyes to see so many concerned for the welfare of to strange chinchillas. i feel such a tightness and brotherhood with you all.

i will definitely take out any wire possible when they are running around from now on. they have their hiding spots in the room, but can only chew on this 2x4 and some baseboards [i know, there's paint] but we can hear them doing it and quickly remove them from the area.

mine can play in my kitchen which has no place to hide if i put a towel around the stove. it is a brand new kitchen so i have to play with him and keep him from biting because every second they chew, it seems like an inch of wood is missing!

we also have a rabbit playpen, which should* work just fine, provided the gaps between the bars are small enough.. those buggers can flatten out and squeeze through anything! [similar to this one.]

goodnight :sleep:

Last edited:
Chins do not play wrestle. If they are rolling around, they are fighting. Standing up on the hind legs is not a friendly gesture either, it is a warning/threat. It doesn't sound like they're best friends to me at all.....

two months later...
NIK_3673.jpg

NIK_3665.jpg

two months later...
NIK_3673.jpg

NIK_3665.jpg

i just replied to your other thread. this right here, to me, is the disrespect i was talking about.

stackie openly expressed concern for you chin and even gave examples of how she lost chins due to aggression. do not assume you know what is best. you've had chins for 2 months, she's had them for years. regardless if you take our advice or not, do not call anyone out acting as if you know best.

Once again, your maturity shows by coming back to this old thread just to get the last word in and try to prove me wrong.

Guess what? My chin that was killed by his cagemate? They were snuggling together hours before the attack happened.

Once again, your maturity shows by coming back to this old thread just to get the last word in and try to prove me wrong.

Guess what? My chin that was killed by his cagemate? They were snuggling together hours before the attack happened.

I believe it. That's what everyone has said.
It's human nature to try and win any battle.

no, it's not. it's immaturity's nature. a mature adult would take the advice, listen to it, and not try to keep one-upping.

First, give your chins a dust bath. They look horrible. That split fur is a dead giveaway to lack of dust baths and they look greasy as heck.

Second, I'm glad your introduction went well and they are getting along for now. If they stay that way, great. If they don't, I hope you're home and are able to separate them before they kill each other.

And no, it isn't in human nature to win. Some people don't care if they win, they care about the animal. Other people, obviously, prefer to act like a 12-year-old just hitting puberty and needing to express his manliness.

I've warned you in two other threads, and I'm not going to continue with it. As of this moment, you are on permanent moderated status. Before you can post ANYTHING, I will personally clear it from the filter. If I don't like it, I'll delete it and warn you. If you continue, I will ban you.

Can I be any clearer than that?

In the picture of Kenny on top of the playhouse (which is cute by the way) it looks like he has been fur-chewing his side. If he has that is a sign of stress. Just an FYI. Maybe it was just matted down fur but it looked like a completely different color to me. Check it out.

So, I have pretty much read everything that Kenny-face and Zappa-fied have posted. It sounds to me like they are ignorant. Sorry, not trying to be rude but everyone here has been trying to help them out. And instead of listening, you sit here and tell everyone that they are wrong. People here try to help in every way possible. I would suggest quit posting threads if you aren't going to listen to the people here. They are very wise and have had sooo much more experience than you two. It's sad that you cannot take advice. I hope the best for your chins because I do not want to see a chin memorial done by either of you because you do not listen to the experienced chin owners.

Back