Your first chin story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiaismypet

I've always been interested in how people have got their chinchillas, and their stories. I would love to read your stories!

It's funny because when I first got my chin she was begging to play the day I got her. I didn't know they were suppose to settle in for a week or so. I let her out and she was bouncing around playing with me, and acted as if we've been friends forever. HAHA :dance3: Has anyone else's chins begged to play the first day?!

I got mine in November 2009 as a surprise Christmas present when I asked for a hamster. It was a shock as my mom knew nothing about them except they were cute and couldn't get wet. She had planned on keeping them in a 55 gallon aquarium. After I finally researched them and got them a proper cage and supplies I started taming them. They were only 8ish weeks old at the time, and super sweet. My girl Roxy was able to slip out of the cage bars for the first month so we had to baby proof the cage.

Viper was neutered at 4 months and almost died due to an infection from pulling out stiches. He spent three days at the vet and when he came home and was healed Roxy decided she wanted to live alone and their bond was broken. It was almost 2 more months before they rebonded. However for the past 5 years nothing has broken their bond.

They spent 2 years with my mom after I moved out and were not well taken care of. I brought them to live with me and my DH in December and they are acting like I never left and like they have known DH all their life when they had really just met him in December. They are one of the few chinchillas that will let anyone hold them (With supervision from me).

I saw an ad in the local paper. It was December 27, 2007 I got my first chin, Nibbler, a standard. He has been in a few different cages. He's in single ferret nation level now. He still hates being pet, but I don't blame him. He loves chewing sticks and running on his metal saucer wheel.

Oh GOSH that was soooo long ago...it was around 2004, back before the internet was terribly popular yet. I was living in my first place and we were only allowed caged pets inside...after having hamsters for a while we decided we wanted something a bit "bigger" and decided on a chinchilla...

At that time we had no idea there were breeders, or how local they were so we searched classifieds...in the local paper. The girl we came across was a dreadful fur chewer, that hated humans...pretty sure of it...but that's how I got my first chin :)

5 years ago, my now ex-boyfriend and I wanted a pet. We lived in an apartment and weren't allowed to get a kitten (my first choice), so we started looking into pocket pets. I came across chinchillas and fell in love! We started looking around on Craigslist and found Chichi (then named Mrs. Puff :p). She hated when I tried to pick her up (still does) and she definitely didn't beg to play the first day. She was super shy, but sweet.

About a month later, she had babies!! The people who had her never mentioned her ever being with a male! Imagine that! It was so much fun having kits around! Chichi had a male (Tribble) and a female (Tia). My ex bf suggested we sell the male and I said, "NO WAY!". I am now mom to three chinchillas!! Chichi and Tia live together and Tribble lives on his own (with a huge ferret nation and tons of attention and toys!). They are so silly, I love them!

Back