Willfull ignorance!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightningturtle

Scooper of all the poops!
I work at one of the big box pet supply stores everyone hates. Despite this, I do my best to make sure people get the best information possible about their pets and their health. I have given the link to this site to probably a dozen chin owners. Usually they are happy for the information, if only to know there are other people with the awesome critters.

Sometimes, not so much.

I had a woman buying the Sunseed garbage, and lamenting that her chin doesn't like the pellets. I explained that this is probably because chins, like kids, will always go for the tasty treats before they'll go for healthy foods. I recommended Oxbow, saying that there's no treats and higher quality pellets. It'll get her chin eating healthily.

Her response, "I told you he doesn't like the pellets."

I explained about selective feeding and how it's bad for them, but clearly it's better to 'spoil' them than actually take care of them! Ugh!

I love having a job that has me working around animals, but this makes me wish I could find something less frustrating. I'd even prefer mucking horse stalls than to watch people shorten their animals' lives.

Used to work at one too. It's ridiculous how many customers don't care about their pets. I gave the "why you shouldn't put a goldfish in a bowl" talk way too many times and lost more times than I can count or people looking to self treat their animals instead of paying for a vet. Really got burnt out.

Used to work at one too. It's ridiculous how many customers don't care about their pets. I gave the "why you shouldn't put a goldfish in a bowl" talk way too many times and lost more times than I can count or people looking to self treat their animals instead of paying for a vet. Really got burnt out.

burnt out from willful stupidity anyway.. id go crazy working at a store like that

Oh man, I have a guy who comes in every few days to get more goldfish for his bowl because they keep dying. Three goldfish, one gallon bowl, no filtration or aeration. Gee, I wonder why they keep dying!

Yes please why you shouldn't put a goldfish in a bowl? (Never had nor getting any fish though so don't worry haha) :)

Yes please why you shouldn't put a goldfish in a bowl? (Never had nor getting any fish though so don't worry haha) :)

Goldfish should grow to over a foot long as adults, unless they are prevented from growing do to not having room. Unfortunately their internal organs grow to adult size regardless, so you end up with a fish dying painfully and prematurely due to organ failure. Goldfish should actually live decades, upwards of 50 years. Also you should have a minimum of 10 gallons per fish (so a 1 gallon bowl is too small for even a single goldfish), as well as a good filtration system since they are very dirty fish (they produce a lot of waste).

Nothing should be kept in a goldfish bowl except maybe a small plant. Even a betta fish who the small bowls and vases are suggested for shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 5 gallon tank with heater and filter.

To my knowledge, bettas are also one of very few fish that don't need their water oxygenated. Pretty much every other fish WILL die once the water goes stagnant. The only reason betta fish can handle stagnant water is because they have a primitive lung. They actually have to have access to air or they will drown.

They can live short periods without well oxygenated water, as can other members of the family such as gouramis. The real issue isn't oxygenated water as much as it is stagnet water contains lots of harmful chemicals and gasses produced by the fish. Basically it's living in its own toilet/dirty plate, plants are a big bonus if you don't have a filter with your betta as they absorb the toxins and add oxygen. The reason they have the organ is to survive short periods of drought before the rain refills their home. Most people don't know a betta can easily live between 3-5 years if its in a good tank with filtration and a heater.

Not saying you are wrong I just don't want someone to see "can live in stagnet water" and go out and put one in a half gallon bowl and never change the water :)

No, that's a good point. I was more trying to reference the habitat of wild betta fish. Domestic animals should always be in better living situations than their wild cousins so they can thrive.

If you really want a happy betta, put an individual in a ten gallon tank with a slow filter and lots of hiding places. Maybe toss a handful of corydoras in for extra housekeeping and fun times. :)

Thank you Amethyst! I had no clue goldfish could grow that big! You learn something new everyday! :)

Back