my first, and second chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcthalionMCB

my first chinchilla was actually a whim purchase from a PetSmart in Spokane, Washington. I already had a cage at home that would work for him, and all the supplies I needed from my sister, who has two chinchillas of her own. I went into the petstore and there was this beautiful little rosy grey fluff ball. he came up to the front of the cage and put his little hands on the walls as if to say "please take me home!" I gave in. he had the name of Etrian before I even finished paying for him. $180 later, we made the two hour drive to take him home. it was a hot summer day, but we had an extremely good air conditioner in that car. once we got him home I set up his cage and let him in, with a nice dust bath, fresh timothy hay, and fibre3 pellets. he settled in nicely, though to this day, he hates the sight of other chinchillas.

Raiju, on the other hand, came to me as a rescue, a year and a half later. he was 3-4 years old when I got him. he came from a home that had him living, and breeding, with a female chin who was ripping out his fur in great big clumps. Unfortunately I was unable to rescue both, as they refused to part with her. I did find out that she miscarried her last litter, and they had relinquished her shortly thereafter a few weeks later. His ears were covered in lumps, at the time I thought they were just from her biting him, but now not so sure (just posted about that in the health forum).
Raiju was used to eating really cheap food, mostly gerbil/hamster mix, the one with all the seeds and colored bits in it. He took to the fibre3 like a champ though, eating it like it was the greatest thing he'd ever tasted. He still goes through his hay like there is no tomorrow.
both of my boys prefer Orchard grass to Timothy.
They are housed in a two story critter nation cage, separated at all times. Raiju loves the company of other chins, but Etrian, he would rather kill any other chin that gets too close. adding a couple pictures of both of them
the really ratty looking chin, thats Raiju the day I brought him home, and the really dark lighting picture is a current one. the other two pictures are Etrian, the one in the hammock is current picture, and the other one, is the day he came home. he'd shaken some dust off from his dust bath and was about to roll in it.

Attachments

• Etrian (33) resize.jpg
    Etrian (33) resize.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Etrian (11) resize.jpg
    Etrian (11) resize.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Raiju (24) resize.jpg
    Raiju (24) resize.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Raiju (22) resize.jpg
    Raiju (22) resize.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 22
I've actually been considering rehoming Raiju, he is pretty friendly to most people but if I try to touch him he starts making a coughing bark kind of sound and swats my hand away. also I just feel like I've been neglecting him a bit since my health went downhill in august. I don't really want to but it might be best for him. Etrian I want to keep, I suspect that he's diabetic to be honest. he always has a strong smell to him. but honestly, i just cant keep up with either of them these days. its hard enough keeping my 1 gerbil and 4 guinea pigs taken care of.

Back