fighting back tears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mousehole

Tonight Hummus's new cage was finally finished and safe enough for him to go into. ( I just have some cosmetic work to do on the outside and some playthings I want to make for the inside but it's sturdy and safe. )

I worked hard on trying to make everything accessible and interesting for him and was very nervous about how he'd take to it. After his exercise time tonight I placed him not in his temporary cage as he was use to, but in his custom new one and held my breath.

He was delighted with the ledges and the tunnel and spent a good, long time exploring and then he tried to popcorn across the floor. I've never seen him do this before. He was so happy that he was dancing.

I still have tears in my eyes that something so basic could make him so happy and It breaks my heart that some people look on these sweet little characters and only see profit to be made. He lived his entire life in a cramped little cage at a backyard breeder as a cast-off that couldn't be sold to a petshop and yet he somehow managed to remain trusting and loving and his delights at things I consider everyday necessities for Pita makes my heart overflow.

Things like the first time he ate a treat his eyes got huge and he wanted them all and tried to fit himself into the cheerio box and when I gave him timothy hay on the first night he came home he was so excited he rolled in it. The next night I made the mistake of filling Pita's feed bowl first and he stretched his little arms out through the bars of his cage, begging for some too.

How could anyone be so indifferent to these beautiful little souls?

Hummus cannot dance like Pita, his body won't allow him to jump and twirl but he can express happiness and it was beautiful to watch.
:cry3:

Mousehole - I suspect what you think of as a cramped little cage at a backyard breeder's was probably just a standard breeding cage. Please remember that the reason most people even have chins is because of breeders who use breeding cages, whether they are backyard or not. Large breeders use breeding cages because it is safer for the females and kits and because it makes sense in a breeding setup. I use breeding runs and my chins are just as happy and healthy as any chin you get from someone who uses 3 foot by 10 foot cages.

I am glad though that you were able to provide this little guy with what sounds like a wonderful cage and home. It's what I hope for with all of my chins that I sell. :)

Tunes I meant no offence to you or any other responsible breeder. To those who have chosen to breed their chins with care and concern for their well being and health my post was not directed at you at all. We wouldn't have such a beautiful variety of chins without breeders and I understand that.
Just in your statement regarding the concern you have for their future I can tell that you love these little characters and I only wish that all breeders were as responsible as you.
Unfortunately there are some people that look at the pricetags chinchillas can command and decide that they can raise them and breed the chins in conditions that aren't fit. The volunteer at the humane society said that they wished they could have helped out more with the overflow from a rescue operation. Hummus came from that seizure.

So touching! I love when my babies are happy, even if it costs an arm and a leg (in time, energy, or money) - they're worth it all!

Aww :heart5: seeing chins popcorn is wonderful... He seems very pleased with his new life!
I can't wait for pictures!

Latest posts

Back