Pita has a new friend

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mousehole

We've been looking for a friend for Pita for a while now and I'm please to state that our hearts were completely captivated by this little guy... May I introduce everyone to Hummus.
DSCN0947_zpsff649333.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My daughter was extremely upset when she saw his picture on the small animal adoption page of our local shelter. He's 12 years old and she was worried that he'd not find a home so after contacting the shelter we set off to bring home the newest family member.

He was the oldest of 3 chinchillas that were an overflow from a rescue operation. Our shelter was asked to help out and house them. It was love at first sight.

Hummus has a spinal defect and his head is permanently turned to one side.
DSCN0956_zpscd68ce5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
but he doesn't let that slow him down too much.

I've never had a special needs chinchilla before and would love to get some advice from anyone who has. I'd also love your opinions on my cage design.

I'm building him his cage this week and I've decided that horizontal would be better than vertical. I'll still have ledges but they'll be much lower to the bottom of the cage than Pita's and perhaps wider too. Since we've notice he has trouble getting down ramps I'll build it low to the ground and the cage door will lift up instead of down so he can hop in and out instead of climbing.

As you can see he coat is a little rough but I'm sure with some good food and loving, we'll have him gleaming in no time.

Pita is very curious and cautious about our new arrival and has been making soft calls to him since he's arrived. I don't want to rush the introductions but, fingers crossed, we hope they become good friends.
DSCN0970_zpsb6ea8413.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
( Latest picture of Pita. I can't post without showing off the bad boy himself in all of his round, fuzzy glory. )

oops

my pictures didn't load so I'll try it again. I'm good with tools...not computers LoL
DSCN0947_zpsff649333.jpg

first picture of Hummus.

DSCN0951_zpsf975f2de.jpg

DSCN0956_zpscd68ce5c.jpg

and finally a picture of my little fuzz nugget

DSCN0970_zpsb6ea8413.jpg

Aww how wonderful of you to take in this little sweetie :heart5: I hope the friendship works out! Congrats on your new addition!

Back