Getting a kit, can use any info :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macaroni and Chiz

Animal obsessed
So I will be getting my second chinchilla this weekend. She is 9 weeks old and looks like a hetero beige. My current chin is 2 and her name is Mayah, shes a standard grey. I read that for kits, exercise and playtime should be limited to about 5 minutes and no wheel yet is that correct?? Also can someone inform me on how to baby-proof a cage?? Until she is older and has integrated with mayah, she will be staying in a single level cage with a couple ledges. What age do you think she"ll be able to live in a 1" bar spaced cage?? I had more questions but for some reason I cant remember some of them *scratches head* Any additional information is highly appreciated :)

I just recently got an 8 and 14 week old chins. So I have researched pretty much all of your answers already. ;)

Playtime should be limited, you want your chin to use their nutrients for developing instead of playing. You don't have to take them out and shouldn't until they and you feel comfortable.

Wheels are not recommended until 6 months of age.

For baby proofing a cage you can go to a hardware store, but some 1/2" or smaller wire mesh and cover the cage, on the inside is recommended, and you can attach it with small zip ties.
I have been told that at around 10-12 weeks they should be safe to go in the 1" bar spacing. Typically 200 grams is maybe too small, but when chins get closer to 250-300 grams they should be big enough.. However it all depends on the structure of your chin as well. These are just rough guidelines I have read.

Treats, other than sticks/twigs/wood, is not recommended until 6 months of age.

Also, it is highly recommended to do a quarantine with any new chinchillas you get, meaning putting them in their own cage in a separate room from your other chins and observe them for 30 days. This will help make sure they are not ill in anyway and if they were, they won't spread the illness to your current chin.

If you think of your other questions just ask!

How cute!!

Okay will do. When I got Mayah i didnt get her out until I had her for a week, so I think ill see how the chin is doing by that time and maybe get her out for the first time after a week has passed as well. :)

Okay, thats good cause I dont have one yet XD I am saving though and found some great metal ones.

What do I use to weigh them?? I have a normal scale but it is for humans and I dont think it would even register the chin.

Okay. I will be ordering some of those from TJ's chin supplies in about a month for my other chin :3

The kit will be in a separate cage for a bit until I know she isnt sick and will do fine with Mayah. However I dont have a separate room to put her in :/ will they still be okay?? The lady selling her tells me she is perfectly healthy but I'd have to see for myself to be sure.

I will!! Thanks for all the help!! :)

How cute!!

Okay. :) My other chin was ready after about a week and now she bolts up to the edge of the cage and begs for me to get her out haha!

Where can I buy a scale thatll register their weight??

Okay. I recently found out about TJ's chin supplies and am planning on ordering a bunch of stuff from there hopefully soon. Including more of twigs and wood chews.

She will be housed in a separate cage for a while so I can be sure she isnt ill. However I dont have a separate room to place her in. Do you think theyll be okay??

Will do thank you!! I am so excited :D

You don't need a scale, but if you would like one to keep an eye on your chins weights, I believe any kitchen type scale that measures in grams would work.

If you can not put them in a separate room, then try to put them at opposite ends of the room and make sure to wash your hands and such before touching one chin and then the other. However, they may still be able to catch an illness from each other.

Another place I have ordered wood from is Ronda's chinchillas. One thing I really like is that she has a sampler package in her free shipping boxes section where you can choose to receive 10 twigs or 5 sticks of around 10 different types of wood. She then puts them in their own little bag and labels what kind of wood it is, so you can figure out what your chins favorite types of woods are.

So I really like going through her for the wood sticks/twigs.

You don't need to have a wheel, but if you would like one, from my research the best/most quiet are the chin spin and flying saucer.

What cages are you keeping them in? And are you planning at attempting to bond them and have them caged together in the future?

Okay, I'll look into one

They will be at opposite ends, and I will be sure to wash. Thanks!

I will most definitely check it out :)

I tried the flying saucer one, and it has been in my chins cage for months now, but she still wont use it. Doesnt even act the slightest bit interested :/

I dont know what kind of cages they are, I bought em from a lady off craigslist. Yes I do plan on putting them together eventually. I have done tons of research and watched videos of how to integrate them in. Really hope I'll be successful!! The cage is 4ft high 3ft wide and 2ft depth. Its a multi level cage. But until the new chin is old enough she will be staying in a long single level cage with some ledges and a hammock that she can climb on. It is only temporary. After theyre both in the big cage, I would like to get some add-ons to it just so theyll be even more happy :) I recently got a job and I put some money aside for my chins. I really love to spoil them, and I hope that theyre as happy as I am.

Yeah I decided to go with the chin spin wheel after reading how many chins never seemed to learn how to use it. Just make sure you have a big enough door to fit it in... It is big!

Make sure to keep that extra cage on hand, unless you can divide the bigger cage in two? In case they don't get along, or they do but sometime in the future they decide they don't like each other anymore.. It happens.

Sounds like maybe a feisty ferret cage? Or if you are able to get "add on" units to put on top it could be a ferret nation or critter nation? You could post a pic and people might be able to tell you what type of cage it is or make suggestions or compliments about it!

And I think everyone here loves spoiling their chins, so we understand! :)

Okay. My chin loves wheels so I cant wait to get her one. Her previous owner just had those cheap plastic ones from the pet store that are too small :( She was running on it for a bit while I was setting up her cage, and she hit her back every time she'd try to run. So that plastic thing went bye-bye!!

Yeah I dont think this cage that my adult chin is in can divide.
I really hope that theyll like each other forever. :)

I will post a pic a soon as I can :)

Thanks so much for all the help and info!! I hope she'll be a happy little chinny :hug2:

]I got the baby on Friday. She is so cute!! She is a little bit scared but I'm hoping with time she'll get used to me and her new home. Mayah (my adult) seems to be a bit aggressive towards her, so I'm taking e introduction slow. I named the new chin Serenity :) she seems to enjoy her playtime doing little jumps here and there. So far she doesn't seem to like being touched like Mayah does, but that may change as she begins to trust me. Today they are due for a cage cleaning.

I uploaded some videos of her on YouTube as well :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140823_191111.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 56
  • IMG_20140823_191045.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 54
Back