New to Chins need help with colors.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccchins

Hi everyone. I am a new chinchilla owner and I rescued these two beautiful boys. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what color they are. I believe the one is a pink white and the other one is a medium standard. If I am wrong let me know. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371520041.852594.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371520059.091303.jpg

Thank you. I am in search of 2 females to breed them to. Hopefully Ryerson will be coming to Florida in Nov for the MCBA show. I would love to get two females from him.

CCChins - you said you rescued these boys... Did they come with pedigrees? If not, please don't breed them. If you want to breed, Ryersons are a great ranch to buy from, see about getting males and females both. If the boys came with pedigrees and are from good breeders, then contact the breeders for background before you do so.

Not trying to harp but I hate to see "rescued" and "breed them" in the same post.

There is a great thread in the breeding section, the stickied FAQs. I would definitely recommend reading them before jumping into breeding since breeding chins is rather complicated business. I agree with the above post as well, that rescues should never be bred. If they had a pedigree that is a different story, but the health complications of breeding unpedigreed chins are horrible.

cchins, although one seems to be a standard but can also be a light ebony. Difficult to say without seeing the belly.
I agree the other is a pink white.

As for breeding... I am stand behind Dee on this!

I just had to get one of my girls, who has a fantastic wonderful pedigree, spayed because she was prolapsing her uterus. Sorry to start off the post with that, but breeding can end up being not only expensive but time consuming and heart breaking.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to maintain sanity and be happy with chins is to keep them as pets and have fun with them. Things just can go wrong at any time and you have to be prepared for it. That's aside from the whole breeding chins with no background or health history. No one has to jump into breeding the chins right away, it's always best to take it slow and see if it is something you want to do for more than a year or two.

Well it's great that they have pedigrees - and if the belly is white it's definitely a standard, although I'm surprised the pedigrees don't note their colors. I recommend you contact the breeder(s) and find out more about their lines, and do research/attend shows, and perhaps learn from the Ryersons if you can since you're planning to buy from them.

Breeding can be wonderful, and awful, and certainly is not a profitable thing to do if you do it right. Since you're new to chins, it's best to take it slowly. Best of luck.

I would take a year or 2 and learn more before you start breeding. You should be able to tell basic colors before hand. There is a lot more to it than putting a male with a female. I just finish hand raising a litter of triplets cause their mother got mastitis. 800 in vet bills later I have a pet only female. Do your research.

Definitely see if this is something you want to do. Often I end up having to give up an entire day or two to take a mother chin to the vet...and then there are the nights I have to get up every hour to handfeed or check on everyone. The possibilities of what can go wrong with chins that aren't in breeding are immense, but with a female in breeding the possibilities and likelihood of having a problem are so much worse.

Let's say that the expense means nothing, the amount of time required to take care of a mother chin in crisis is crazy. It's not like they are going to have problems at a good time where you can just take your girls to the vet at 10 am and everything is fine. Mother chins have problems in the middle of the night and early morning...and weekends and holidays seem to be very popular times for emergency c-sections and spayings. Sometimes I get a day or two behind on my work because I have to completely give up my time to attend to an emergency. Here's the thing, this is what I do...this IS my job and I have a hard time keeping up sometimes because of problems. I always wonder what someone with a full time job would do about this. Back when I was in college it was a real problem and it cost me a lot of sleep.

If someone is willing to take on the immense sacrifice of breeding chins when something goes wrong, that's fine. In my experience it takes special people to want to breed and do it the right way. I always think about the calls I get at midnight with someone trying to get out of going to the vet when their females are having problems. (The last one was someone completely unwilling to go to the vet and the female died, of course.) Please, anyone reading any of this, take it seriously with breeding chins.

Dream: I only asked for help confirming what the colors were and I believe I was right in what colors try are.

I have been doing alot of research. I spent several month learning about chins before owning them. And I have another 5 months until I get the females from Ryerson. I have spoked to Richard Ryerson several time on the phone. He is like an encyclopedia for chinchillas. I plan on asking lots of questions if I need to and I appreciate everyone. Thank you so much.

Back