spraying... help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

courtyyryan

this morning when i was making breakfast i look over and see horton spray urine out the front of his cage. i looked it up and all the internet says is he is protecting himself and feels intimidated.. this cant be.. there was nothing going on, i was not near him, hes never done it before. any ideas? :hmm:

Are you sure Horton is a him??? Females can and will spray fairly far and with good accuracy, but males usually just produce a few dribbles. Was he standing up, belly out when he was spraying, or belly down tail up? If it was tail up then he was actually peeing not spraying. It he was standing up, then he's likely a she that was spraying.

I have witnessed it only once, but one of my males lifted his tail and a spray of urine came out from behind him. That is when I put up a sheet of fleece to cover the back side of all of my cages because the wall behind one of the cages started to look stained.

Last edited:
im 100% positive that he is a male.. and i've seen him pee a million times. he was defintely spraying, there was even a weird sound while he did it.. thanks for the experience sandi! i have a fleece on the back of the cage but he did this right out the front.. and i would have a very upset chinchilla if i put fleece on the front.

If nothing was there to freak him out he was probably just being a naughty boy and peeing out the bars. My male will pee one the wall some times. =_=

Back