Advice with newborn kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just dropped off a stool sample and should get results by the end of today. Both mommy and kits have the same smelly loose stools still.

My vet finally called me back at 7am this morning while I was mid asleep. The stool sample came back positive for a parasite called (forgive me I was literally half asleep when they called and the woman talked so fast!) lambo flagella??? I'm bringing in the male tonight at 5:30pm so I can get medication for all of them. Everyone is still very active and the kits continue to gain weight. We are still out of power but I was able to run an extension cord downstairs and get a small heater hooked up to keep them warm.

On a good note, big guy weighs 101 grams and little guy weighs 92 grams!!

Best wishes on the meds working asap. You shouldn't have so many problems at your house right now. You poor dear.
Hugs...

Best wishes on the meds working asap. You shouldn't have so many problems at your house right now. You poor dear.
Hugs...

After reading the article about giardia I think she said it was lamblia flagella which means it's probably giardia? We do have well water as drinking water BUT I give the chins bottled water. It's very possible that I'm infected with it and I passed it along to them. I honestly feel like I'm living a nightmare right now!!!!

Here's a picture I took yesterday of my little fuzz balls helping wake my husband up

IMAG0432_1_1.jpg

Just to update everyone, my chins actually have coccidia, not giardia. My vet prescribed them Ablon which I give to Mom and Dad once every night. I have scrubbed their cages with a bleach/hot water mix and threw away all wood houses, toys and ledges. I boiled their water bottles in water for 20 minutes as well. All of their "mushy" stools have cleared up and are almost back to normal. Everyone is active and gaining weight. Big guy is 118 grams and little guy is 107 grams.

Here's a picture of the kits checking Dad out while he's in the carrier. I brought all the chins over to my Mother's house to wash their fleece as we were still without power. I let Dad run around with the kits and oh was it adorable. Little guy literally chased him around the room.

680547_4772861203011_874163916_o.jpg

665665_4772866563145_1495190528_o.jpg

On another note... how long till I can re-add ledges and take away the hardwire cloth on Mom's cage? Should I wait till 8 weeks once they're weaned and removed from the cage?

That's better news! The coccidia seems to be a little easier to clear up with the Albon.

I wouldn't take off the mesh until after they are weaned, you would be amazed at how small the spaces are that they can squeeze through! :) As for the ledges, you could probably put in ledges and shelves in a week or two once you know for sure that the diarrhea has been corrected.

That's better news! The coccidia seems to be a little easier to clear up with the Albon.

I wouldn't take off the mesh until after they are weaned, you would be amazed at how small the spaces are that they can squeeze through! :) As for the ledges, you could probably put in ledges and shelves in a week or two once you know for sure that the diarrhea has been corrected.

They are little ninjas.... I catch them climbing up the cage all the time. Mommy will be very happy to have her ledges and hanging house back again. Thanks for the advice :)

Yes, this is normal for a mom that has recently given birth to groom herself a lot. I agree with the comment about removing the house. Also, the cage should not be too tall; kits only a few days old can climb the cage walls and if too high, may be injured when they fall. Sounds like they are good weight, congrats.

My kits turn 7 weeks old tomorrow. Big guy weighs 220 grams and little guy weighs 199 grams. Is little guy behind at all for 7 weeks old? They both are munching away on hay and pellets and I haven't seen them nurse for a while now. Next Saturday I will be removing them from Mommy as they are both male kits. I just want to make sure their weights are good for their age.

Back