Blue Diamond Babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He sent us 3 violet s/c females to help get us started faster producing bd's. A violet s/c mated to a bd will produce 50% violet s/c and 50% bd offspring. My litter was out of the violet s/c female he sent me.

Ok, it makes sense it certain way to decide to breed with a violet s/c, that way you would have some more blue diamonds that you could use to breed to pure standards to get some nicer blue diamond carriers.

But also, I was thinking on what you said, that if you put a blue diamond with a violet s/c you would get 50% blue diamond and 50% violets s/c, which it makes sense, but what is confusing is the odds, that, a blue diamond carries violet and sapphire at the same time, and the violet s/c carries sapphire, so wouldn't you in that case also get a sapphire v/c? :confused1:

Kathiva, you can't get a sapphire vc when you mate violet sc to bd because the violet color will be expressed in all the offspring, but the sapphire color will only be expressed in half of the offspring. The half that it is will be bd and the half that it isn't will be violet sc. Look at a bd as being both a violet and a sapphire at the same time. If you breed a violet to a bd you get all violet sc offspring. If you breed a sapphire to a bd you get all sapphire vc offspring, if you breed bd to bd you get all bd offspring.

Awesome that you're working on a class! I hope they are more well received on the east coast then the west when we have shown.

They really are a beyond stunning color, congrats!

Nicole will you make sure Bill and Jim from Silkrheinchins get a copy of the paper your working on when you finish? And perhaps you would like to get in touch with them as well Mark. They put together such a wonderful MCBA magazine. I do enjoy the articles. Would like to read more on the work that goes into these animals. I won't be taking that journey. However I would like to read more.
Best wishes on your future endeavours.
And thanks for the answer I posted Mark.

They're lovely, congrats! Must be exciting to be working with them.
Those males are very nice too Riven, the colour looks really striking even just from a picture. I wonder if the NCS would also be interested in the article when you're done, there was a request for more articles in the last Gazette.

So, are the Blue Diamonds the same as the violephire, and genetically simply violet + sapphire? I had heard that other colours (recessive beige, Deutsch violet) might be involved, but wasn't sure what was really the case.

I am not familiar with the genetic history of the animals that Rhonda has the "violophires" as some call them to really be of help on that.

I have all of the information that I received, and am hoping to get it compiled and everything sooner than later as well as a couple other articles, I keep hoping school will calm down a little as I get into a rhythm... so we'll see. I was trying to get information on other more rare mutations such as the gold bar and the recessive whites from reliable sources, but have not had any luck with that unfortunately.

Kathiva, you can't get a sapphire vc when you mate violet sc to bd because the violet color will be expressed in all the offspring, but the sapphire color will only be expressed in half of the offspring. The half that it is will be bd and the half that it isn't will be violet sc. Look at a bd as being both a violet and a sapphire at the same time. If you breed a violet to a bd you get all violet sc offspring. If you breed a sapphire to a bd you get all sapphire vc offspring, if you breed bd to bd you get all bd offspring.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, :duh:

Wow, what a beautiful color! I hadn't heard of Blue Diamonds before seeing this thread, it's always so interesting to see new/different mutations. :D

Back