12 hole ryerson carry cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make carriers too, Ronda has 10-14 hole ones. 10 is the most common and the ones she uses for show. I have a 14 hole here from shipping from her. They weigh ~10lbs. The cardboard ones are also very light.

Chins are shipped via weight. It is currently too hot to ship them anywhere in the U.S. unless you are doing private car or refrigerated semi. When you book the tickets they will check all connecting flights and if the ground temp is above 80 for any leg they'll not book the flight.

Once I was able to convince one to ship because the chins would be coming in at night, but that was three years ago and they've been sticklers about it because if they get held over they're left outside or in unconditioned baggage areas at most places.

You can get around this by shipping via a pet service but the animals are still left out on the tarmac even though they do make a great effort to get them from the plane to a/c asap - some airports are just too big to do it fast enough for a chin.

Good point, we had a member on CNQ who had 8 chins die on the tarmac here in the bay area because they were left out for a hour.

Good point, we had a member on CNQ who had 8 chins die on the tarmac here in the bay area because they were left out for a hour.
That sucks, I've never lost any during or from shipping, knock on wood.

The last batch I shipped in sat out for an hour and 15 minutes, was starting to get worried because it was 10PM, NOBODY in the terminal and I know the thing closes at 10. One of the guys finally comes in from the back and asks me to come back and get them, it turns out there were only two guys working and both were terrified to touch them to the point it looked like they had backed one of the cart things up to the plane and poked the carrier off with an object. It was half hanging off the luggage cart. They'd literally sat outside next to the plane from 8:45 until 10PM while they unloaded and maintenance two other planes.

We've got a small three terminal airport so not much you can do until someone comes inside. Everyone was o.k. and it was rather comical in the end how genuinely terrified these guys were - but even 70 degrees in full sun will cook a group of chins over a time span like that.

The average time to offload them from a puddle jumper here is 30 minutes. Once I was lucky and they were off first. Usually it's a wait. During that time there is no air conditioning or heating for anyone or thing at any airport.

Also, find out where the cargo comes in at your airport - some it is inside the terminal at the checkin desk, others have a dedicated cargo service area. Sometimes, if you're real unlucky they get dumped on a luggage carousel. Ronda's cages are open wire and I haven't had that luck but someone did with the closed wooden top ones.

If you want pictures of one of the shipping carriers to make one let me know.

Back