The 5 lovely ladies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That toy lasted all of 2 days with the 5 of them. The others in the single cage and pairs still look pretty good. This one, hay and all is completely gone. Apparently they liked it. ;)

I was able to get a couple cut pictures of the bunch. I have some more on my camera, but I'm at work right now and don't have access to it.

I call these "OM NOM NOM NOM"

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

2 Chins 3 Tails?

IMG_2055.jpg

It's plastic so I wouldn't recommend it. I had it given to me with a surrender so I figured I would give it a try. It lasted a week before they found the tiny little pieces that hold it on the cage. I came home from work and the holder was on the floor and hay was scattered everywhere.

That said, I REALLY liked it on the outside of the cage. It was really easy to fill, and with them I did notice much less waste, though they are serious hay hogs so they pretty much eat every piece given to them anyway.

Here are a couple metal options:

http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/feeders.htm
(scroll down almost to the bottom)

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2298

Hmmm... I may want to try that. Right now I have nice wooden holders, but they empty all of the hay on the floor of the cage every night. I'd be worried that with the hay holders on the outside of the cage, hay would fall on the floor when they pull pieces out. Did you notice that?

A bit, but it's not too bad. My rescues are on a tile floor though so a little bit of hay on the floor doesn't faze me since I sweep every time I step in the room. :p

For someone who has carpet and vacuums I would say "no" to the outside hay rack. It's not much hay dropped, but enough to where it would be a pain unless you have a shop vac.

I have used the metal racks that hung on the outside of the cage. While they were good for hay mess inside the cage, I always had a spot on the floor where the hay dust/small strands slipped through between the holder and the cage. One of my chins also rubbed the fur off of his nose from sticking his nose through the bars to get to that "special" piece of hay. :rolleyes:

Those chinnies are so cute in their hay line!! Wish all my boys would get along. *sigh*

I have one of the metal racks for my cage and to keep hay from falling between the bars I put one of the many crossing signs i keep on the outside of the cage and wedge it between the cage and then I use a lava ledge to keep the top from flapping around and hitting the wall as she runs on her wheel

And sorry for all the dusting videos. It seems to be the only thing I can do to get all 5 in the same shot at the same time. :p

So many chinchillas in one place! The video was adorable. Congrats on your rescue! It's great that you were able to bring everyone together again.

Back