At What Age Do You Let A Baby Chinchilla Leave?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 weeks AND at least 200g. If they are under, they stay with mom until they are over 200. Only had one so far that wasn't though. Then they stay another two weeks with me after weaning before going to another home.

Wean at 8, keep for 2, nothing under 300 to 400gm leaves here.

For me it really just depends on each animal, if a kit is massive at 6 weeks, I'll wean it so it doesn't suck mom dry of everything she has in her whole body. If it's small I might leave it on even longer. I usually go by less of a set time frame and more of a size and weight. Some babies even seem too small at 200 grams to me, some seem huge. I always hold until I'm sure they've adjusted well on their own away from mom before leaving, usually at least 2 weeks or so. And this is only on anything I KNOW I can't use, other wise I might sell something out that would otherwise be super show quality or a great breeder. I've already sold one like that this year, she hasn't gone to her new home yet and I wish I'd have kept her looking at her now.

I wean at 8 weeks. Sometimes more. If I have females in the litter I'll sometimes leave them on mom a little longer, as there is no threat of them getting her pregnant. I'll let kits go at the earliest one week after weaning. Most of my kits are here though until 12 weeks or more.

I am not very good at keeping ads open/listing animals so they tend to stay here until I get someone who e-mails looking for chins.

I typically keep the majority of my babies, so as far as them going to another place, I haven't had one leave here younger than 3 months in well over four years.

I wean at 8 weeks, unless it's a female litter in which case they can stay with mom an extra month before weaning.

In the UK it is most common to wean at 8-10 weeks (depending on weight) & rarely does anyone sell a kit until it is 12 weeks old.

I wean at 8 weeks and 200 - 250 grams and hold them for 2 weeks to be sure that they are doing fine. They are usually above 300 grams by the time they leave.

Back