How do breeding-chins live?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's side information, but I wanted to add something to what Kristy mentioned. With all the chins that ranchers have, the animals are still cared about. I purchased Axel from JAGS at a show. For almost three months I battled to get Axel to eat and drink on his own. I have no idea why he wouldn't eat anything, other than he was afraid. He would eat alfalfa hay, that's it (though not enough to sustain his weight). Randy went out of his way to mail me some of his feed to try to get him to eat. I didn't receive it, so coming back from another show he actually came to my job and dropped off the feed himself. While I realize he was already driving through the city I live, in no way was he obligated to go out of his way on his 20 hr back home to bring me feed.

I realize this really has nothing to do with the thread, but wanted to put it out there for anyone who questions if ranchers actually care for this chins, or if it is all business.

I've been told by 2 different women with a large number of chins that they rarely bring people in to see their operation because "most pet owners just don't understand" and they're concerned that an equally ignorant Humane Officer could ruin their business/nonprofit. But, hanging onto Crash by the tail scared the bejezus out of me until I saw how a Bob Meyer's winner handles hers. (I'm doing it right!) Breeding runs, if you don't realize that chins like dark hidey holes and corners, look unpleasant to large animals like humans. (That information is part of why I keep a fleece drape over Crash's cage, so that he can get air flow without feeling too exposed.) Without the knowledge of people who have been in chinchilla breeding since the 1950s, every person here would either be the kind of Craigslist screw up we come to complain about, or not have chins in our lives at all. Until there are enough level headed pet owners for chins that Don't go to pet stores or brokers and Don't listen to rat/hamster care guides for their chin information and Don't think "just one litter won't hurt anything", we can't treat *all* breeders like mill breeders. The good breeders deserve at the least respect from the pet owners and rescuers that benefit from their hard work without actually paying them anything for it.

I don't know names, but at the York show one year, I spent a few minutes at the Baby Derby table with a smallish lady enjoying the heck out of a cherry Tootsie Pop. At that point I'd never heard the term "blue" to describe a gray chinchilla's fur and I still have no idea what "nice strong fur" means, but as she talked about the kit in front of her, I started to see what a quality chin should look like. Sure enough, that little guy won the derby. Some knowledge just can't go into a book, just like that one family recipe everybody's grandma or aunt makes that no one can duplicate until they learn it from the source.

Just a couple of comments from someone who believes that the whole pet person vs ranchers is a very unfair and biased way of putting things. There are both good and bad in respect to those that have animals of any kind no matter if they have 1 or a thousand. Most of us all want the best for our animals and we give them what we each feel they must have to be healthy and happy. We ourselves started out as pet owners doing and feeding things people on this forum would scream about nowadays. The 23 year old Peggy refers to was the very first animal Jeri ever had, she was a pet for most of her life being bred from time to time, getting all the bad treats, the wrong type of wheel and was in a 55 gal fish tank. As we became more educated we changed what we felt was wrong and have done what we feel is best for our animals. There are a lot of different methods that work and what all works best for some may not work at all for others. Different animals will have somewhat different needs and not all will flourish no matter what you do. I have worked the ingredients in my feed mixture so that I feel they do not need hay on a steady basis. Once in a while they will get hay cubes or loose hay but not as a steady part of their diet. People with only a few animals do not end up wasting as much as what I end up throwing out from what is not eaten by the end of the week when we clean cages. Not to mention all the extra time involved putting it in each of 1500 cages and then making more trips hauling it out to the waste pile when its not eaten at the end of the week. What I feed works for me and my animals as my show results and the quality of my animals shows. I have well over 100 animals still in breeding that are 15-20 years old. As far as hideaway houses, it would be a full time job around here just to build them as fast as they chew them up with the number of animals we have. I used to use them and have no ill feelings toward anyone who still uses them, but I also find they are not necessary if the conditions of your unit are relaxed and calm. If they are not startled or scared why would they need to hide? They would double my cleaning time if I had to remove a house from each of 1500 cages to clean their pans not to mention all the extra time it would take trying to look each animal over for health issues and trying to find new born babies every night. For those seeking help or more knowledge of these animals look into MCBA and ECBC. Both put on shows and educational seminars and you will meet a lot of people with a lot of experience very much willing to help those who want help. Every year we put tons of time, money and effort into these events only to have a very few show up. So is what I do right for everyone? More than likely not as we all have our own philosophies on what is right and wrong in our eyes. All I ask from people is to do the best they can for their animals and seek any knowledge and help to become better educated on their animals care. Then do what works for you and your animals.

They would double my cleaning time if I had to remove a house from each of 1500 cages to clean their pans not to mention all the extra time it would take trying to look each animal over for health issues and trying to find new born babies every night.

And ain't that the truth? My boys hate cleaning cages because they have those houses in them. I am not fast, just steady, so they don't bother me, but the boys want to rush through and get it done and the houses apparently cause them horrible grief and strife. <rolls eyes>

I was hoping you might pop up here and say a few words Randy. Again, as has been said before, judging pet standards against a breeders standards and choices isn't really fair as everything is handled so differently, from housing to nutrition to vet care.

About 5-6 hours a night as the wife and I both have full time jobs with plenty of overtime and a 13 year old son who is into many sports and big time into Boy Scouts. He should be an Eagle Scout by June and is a member of the Order of the Arrow. There is also no time for nights on the town and a lot of other fun stuff most people do.

I just want to point out, the visit by PETA is not reserved for ranches, I got a visit from two PETA people at work a couple of years ago because my yelp.com reviews customers talk about my chins. I respect ranchers who allow people to visit their businesses since its a scarey place out there dealing with the public.

About 5-6 hours a night as the wife and I both have full time jobs with plenty of overtime and a 13 year old son who is into many sports and big time into Boy Scouts. He should be an Eagle Scout by June and is a member of the Order of the Arrow. There is also no time for nights on the town and a lot of other fun stuff most people do.

wow.. I am impressed. There must be alot of passion in what u are doing.

Last edited:
I don't know names, but at the York show one year, I spent a few minutes at the Baby Derby table with a smallish lady enjoying the heck out of a cherry Tootsie Pop. At that point I'd never heard the term "blue" to describe a gray chinchilla's fur and I still have no idea what "nice strong fur" means, but as she talked about the kit in front of her, I started to see what a quality chin should look like. Sure enough, that little guy won the derby. Some knowledge just can't go into a book, just like that one family recipe everybody's grandma or aunt makes that no one can duplicate until they learn it from the source.

Tootsie pop? Most likely Chris Woods, From White Woods Chinchilla Ranch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back