Pairing my chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really love my chinchillas and I would hate to see something happen but some people feel the need to try something. You never know I can create a geneticly strong chinchilla if they aren't because I am 90% sure they aren't.

You don't experiment on living creatures. And "Trying something" is experimenting.

Ok, here goes my attempt at an explanation. You probably won't pay attention but maybe someone else will.

When you decide to breed something, you literally play "God" with their genetics. Wild chinchillas do not have the man-made diseases and conditions that domestic chinchillas have so they are not part of this discussion.

When you decide to play God, you should consider what the future (in the very far future) impact of your decisions will be because you can't undo them. Once you breed two chinchillas there is no going back and undoing what you've done. There are no takebacks.

Without knowing the background of your chinchillas, you don't know what genes they carry that you can't see. They could carry the gene for malocclusion, which is a painful death sentence for their offspring but might not show in the parents. They might carry the gene for furchewing, yet not be furchewers themselves. You don't know because you can't ask the breeders because you don't have backgrounds.

In addition, a vet is useless. He can tell you if they physically CAN breed but, unless he's a chinchilla judge, he can't tell you if you SHOULD breed them. See, a chinchilla is supposed to look a certain way. It's supposed to have a certain shape and the fur is supposed to be a certain type and the color needs to be clear and clean. You think you know these things but you really don't. It takes years to know what 'clear' means in coat color. Look at the show photos and then look at some pet chins. You'll see pinched necks and lanky bodies and that's not what should be bred. But only a very experienced show person or judge can tell if your chins have the qualities that should be bred.

Now, you say why can't you just breed for the fun of it. Here's a very simple example. Let's use pudding as an example. Let's say that pudding only comes in two flavors, chocolate and vanilla. let's say the law says pudding must only be chocolate and vanilla and can't be anything else. That would be the show quality chins.

So you make a bowl of chocolate pudding and a bowl of vanilla pudding and you decide to see what would happen if you mix them. Well, you'll get something that is neither chocolate nor vanilla pudding. You decide that it wasn't a good idea to mix the two and you want your chocolate and vanilla puddings back. But how can you do that? Once you mix them together, you can't unmix them.

And that's the way it is with chinchilla genetics. Once you breed those two chins, you can't undo it. Those chins might have malo. They might be furchewers. They might be pinch necked and lanky. And then someone who doesn't care breeds them and then forever more those chins have genetic problems because you can't unmix the pudding.

You didn't want to hear the truth, you only wanted to hear praise and support and you didn't get it. I feel bad for your chinchillas because they aren't going to be loved pets but just something to experiment with. I think it's sad that you can't be happy with them just the way they are and you are more interested in using them than loving them.

You can argue all you want and change your story and make stuff up and twist it around and it boils down to this:

You shouldn't be breeding chinchillas.

They might be pinch necked and lanky.
A little idiocy on my part, but what does the term 'pinch necked' translate into exactly? Is it where they don't have the roach or...

You want the neck to be "wide". A pinched neck makes the chin look triangle shaped. A thick neck (called a roach) makes the chin look like a brick.

I'm going to close this thread, since plenty has already been said.

I understand that I was being stubborn but I will not aggree to the idea that they die always when you breed. You guys breed and it doesn't happen to you all the time or you wouldn't have any babies. It sound like you were saying it happens all the time.

No one said they will always die. I never said it happened to me all the time. Before you started changing your story every time you type, I asked you if you were prepared for it to happen. You said you love your chins very much, and it's a very real possibility that bad things can and do happen.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597

Want to see some pretty breeding pictures? Here ya go: http://www.rivendellchinchillas.com/educationA.htm

Click on the breeding section, click on reasons not to breed, then enter the page with the lovely pictures of what can and does happen with breeding.

You've already made up your mind as to what you are going to do, and I don't believe your parents forced you into anything. Please, don't use that as an excuse. At this point, why not just admit you wanted to do it yourself, that you don't know what you're doing, that you don't have a clue about breeding and probably chinchillas in general, and try learning something. The deed is done. The chins are together, and it's very possible your female is pregnant. Stop arguing, stop protesting, start learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back