(brief) escape!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

the dreamer
Last night I was cleaning out Tia's cage and I set her on my bed for a brief second while I took the literally four steps to get her carrier. When I turned around, she was gone! She hopped to the corner of the bed, leaned down to see what was done then, and slipped right off... thankfully into a pile of dirty laundry.

The next 20 minutes were spent getting her out from under the bed. I put a cookie (thanks, Crysta!) on a string and fished for her, and it worked! It was the waiting that was terrible...

She was eating something under there though, I have no idea what it was. I think it may have been bird seed. :hair:

What's your escape story?

here is my story, not too much of an "escape" but funny none the less.
it was our first playtime... and i thought i had chin-proofed the bathroom REALLY GOOD....
i was reading a book and watching him play, and the next thing i know... hes gone. i started freaking out trying to find him.. no luck. i was seriously convinced he jumped out of the window! then i heard the scratching...
little did i know that my sink has a hollow base. he jumped in and couldnt get out and i was home alone!!! i was so scared that i would stress him out that i just sat there, crying for 3 hours waiting for my husband (who was a little ticked off with me) to get home.
my husband used to play pro hockey and is a HUGE guy... his nickname is hamhock hands, so he wasnt about to even try to put his hands in the hole... and i was scared! after many unsuccessful tries, and much barking, he literally pulled the sink off the base and twisted it so i could reach my hand in and get him out. it was really stressful, but luckily Varg wasnt phased! now there is a big piece of fleece stuffed in the hole and playtimes go off without a hitch!

Mine is not an escape as much as I'm a dummy. I had let Shelly out to play and was doing a full cage cleaning. She will usually stay right by me when I'm cleaning. I think she is secretly supervising me. Well I went to put everything back under the sink in the guest bathroom (it is never used so I don't worry about moisture). I made sure she was out of the bathroom (she was sitting in her cage looking at me) before I closed the door. Well I went into the kitchen to wash my hands and start making dinner. It took me all of two minutes to notice that my fur shadow was not in the kitchen with me. So I'm running all over the apartment looking for her. The bedroom doors were still locked so she could not get in. She was not under the sofa. I was calling and calling out for her. I finally sat down next to her cage crying thinking I lost her somehow. Then I hear a barking sound coming from the bathroom I had just closed. Turns out when I closed the door she bolted in there and I locked her in the bathroom. She was sitting on the sink staring at the door waiting for me to let her out. So now I will only clean her cage when my other half is home. He will watch her while I lock her out of my working area so I can clean.

A quick reminder not to move furniture or anything while looking for or trying to capture them. I remember a story or two about chins getting mortally injured that way

It's really not that bad. She jumps on the toilet, then onto the counter and sits in the sink. I always make sure the drain is closed and the sink is dry before I let her out of her cage. It is a guest bathroom and very small. She probably has about 6 inches that she needs to clear in the jump. I've seen her do much more than that. My kid is a dare devil.

I wasn't talking about you...just a general reminder ;ie don't pick up the couch, move the bookcase....:thumbsup:

i was freaking out when my husband moved the sink... honestly wouldnt have let him do it if there was any other way. i would have been devastated if anything wouldve happened :(

I wasn't talking about you...just a general reminder ;ie don't pick up the couch, move the bookcase....:thumbsup:

I know that was not directed to me. I was just responding to Ash. It is a great rule of thumb to not move anything once the kids are out. Or the toy basket when they are in it. I discovered that last night when I was kacked at.

I know that was not directed to me. I was just responding to Ash. It is a great rule of thumb to not move anything once the kids are out. Or the toy basket when they are in it. I discovered that last night when I was kacked at.

:hilarious: Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious when they kack? Tia does it like murder every time I have to force feed her (I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO IT IF YOU WOULD JUST EAT, MS. PRINCESS!) and I can't help but chuckle the whole time.

It cracks me up when she kacks. She's really only done it a few times but last night was just plain old funny. She kack'd at me so I stopped and asked her if really just kacked at me. He response was to kack again. I told her if she did not stop I would put her back in her cage. I think she may have understood me because she bolted away after I said that. Does she not remember that I am the queen and she is the princess. Sheesh.

Last edited:
I have a chinchilla room where I keep 2 of my chinchillas, but their cages are on opposite sides of the room. So when 1 is out playing, I split the room in half with Marshall gates, but I keep the room door open. One time, Tubby managed to jump over the gate, ran out of the room into the living room where I have a futon that I use a sofa. He went inside the futon & wouldn't want to come out for the longest time. I think he was having a chewing fest because the whole time he was inside the futon, all I could hear was wood being chewed. He finally came out though, much to my relief.

Back