Red chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a very bad quality photograph, or photoshopped. I found the place where that picture came from, and someone made a comment that it was a violet, but their conversation changed so quickly that nobody really had an answer as to what it was.
Please don't "urgh" me. If you can say you were asking a simple general question, I can say I was referring to a general someone as well. I never once implied YOU were going to try to breed red chins

I was urgh'ing this thread in general. Not you.
Your "arguments" did not stand up & people have told you that - whilst you may not like it, people have responded to your "arguments" ........... because that's what happens on forums. Just because you don't like the replies you got does not mean they are any less valid.
As for ripping your posts apart (which is way too emotive an expression for what has happened in this thread) I have to say you also asked for that too. You can't say "I like to make arguments so I get answers" & then get into a strop because people have responded.

I never once said that the replies weren't valid.
And as far as ripping my posts apart, I was mainly referring to the fact that everyone seems to have taken my simple "what if" statement and turned it into something that I had never inteded in the first place.

Wow Claire that breaks my heart! To call that beautiful chin crappy. I would love a red chin, in fact I've been wanting one forever. I know what everyone says but still I'm sure back in the day during the first breedings no one ever thought white, beige and violet would come from the standard chinchilla yet it has. If you ask me a brownish color in black would not be a great quality to black--yet someone saw brown in a standard and hoped to make it into tan and the various forms of it.

As a pet owner I think it would be truly stunning to see the chinchilla with it's gorgeous fur in a beautiful Irish Setter red. But then again I don't much care about the pelt of the chinchilla as I don't wear fur nor condone the wearing of fur. I don't care if my chins have gorgeous fur, I just care about them being happy, and having lots of fun to run and jump and play and not worry about having babies that might die. I just care about loving my chinchillas and giving to them what I feel like they give back to me.

It's photoshopped.

For example, I can take this photo of a perfectly blue chin:
blue.jpg

Add a layer over top of it, turn the opacity down to something like say, 45%, then paintbrush red/rust over it.

And I get one foxy chin.
foxchin.jpg

I'm sure, if you really wanted, you could get a similarly red chin by putting kool-aid in your blue cloud.

Mish how much are you selling your foxy red chin for! It is simply stunning! If it's a boy I think he should be named Beauregard if it's a girl I think her name should be Evangeline!

Laurie - I get what you and Kawaii are trying to say, and I agree. I would like to see a true red chin. (I would like to see a Siamese/color-pointed chin as well.)

What we are trying to say back to you is that that kind of red does not exist in chinchillas. You will not get Irish Setter without the pheomelanin pigment. It could happen, but it's highly unlikely that red will occur, so don't get your hopes up.

Breeding off-color to get a similar effect is not responsible breeding. It is not bettering the species, in fact it's just the opposite. And secondly, you simply won't get true red / Irish Setter red by breeding for rust. You can't breed the beige out of a beige so that it's only rust - you have to have the beige to get the rust.... so, it will still be a beige, but an ugly one.

Mish I totally understand, heck I've wanted a red chin for about 5 years now and I was told flat out not gonna happen--BUT I will never give up hope LOL! We said man would never go to the moon either lol! As for the siamese blue color point chin I'd be all for that too! A violet chin with blue eyes YOUWZA another gorgeous chin, not gonna happen though. It doesn't mean we can't dream for it though!

I think if we want to better the breed we should try to breed them to be cuddly and do tricks! Now THAT would really be bettering them LOL!

I've got it!!! garnier nutreese #66!! ;) just kiding everyone
you could use a bunch of beiges or some pinkwhites and have a party!!:neener:

Last edited:
Wow Claire that breaks my heart! To call that beautiful chin crappy.
You mis-read my post, Laurie - I said ,"it looks like a crappy photo of a violet" which is not the same as saying it is a crappy chin. ;)

That could certainly be the case Claire--my blood boils over the chance of never having a gorgeous red chin. Did you see Mish's fox chin? ooh-la-la!

Out of edit time.

And as far as ripping my posts apart, I was mainly referring to the fact that everyone seems to have taken my simple "what if" statement and turned it into something that I had never inteded in the first place.
Kawaii, now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing ........... :rolleyes:
I will repeat, you asked to have your "arguments" answered because you started the discussion. The fact that you did not like how it evolved & how people answered your "arguments" is neither here nor there really - this is what forums are all about.
As I said above -
You can't say "I like to make arguments so I get answers" & then get into a strop because people have responded.

Arguing hasn't worked on this thread .............. so if you want a different answer, try asking a different question or ask the question in a different way.

People have responded to what they see as an anathema to everything a responsible breeder stands for - Tab summed it up very well.

That could certainly be the case Claire--my blood boils over the chance of never having a gorgeous red chin. Did you see Mish's fox chin? ooh-la-la!
Yes I did - have you pre-ordered yours yet? :hilarious:
I think Meanie is working on some for you too - I asked for you :dance3:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4143&page=2

Last edited:
Maybe I could keep the fox chin and meanie's chenille eyelash/guinea pig chin together! That would be awesome!

Wow Claire that breaks my heart! To call that beautiful chin crappy. I would love a red chin, in fact I've been wanting one forever. I know what everyone says but still I'm sure back in the day during the first breedings no one ever thought white, beige and violet would come from the standard chinchilla yet it has. If you ask me a brownish color in black would not be a great quality to black--yet someone saw brown in a standard and hoped to make it into tan and the various forms of it.

I don't think this is quite how the beige variations came around, Laurie. It wasn't a matter of seeing "brown in standard" and breeding it, the kits came out of standard pairings with the beige/white/violet/etc coloring and the breeders decided to work with them. And tans/wraps were brought about by knowing how the ebony gene interacts with colors.

A red chinchilla would be so cool! They would be just like the red velvet cake. I would get like three. Currently i dont have a chinchilla, but i am getting one soon. If there was a red one i would get it right away. That would be AWESOME!

Back