Cuda, November 7, 2006 - February 10, 2010

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Hey everyone. It’s been a while…

Cuda (Monster) passed away at some point between midnight and 6am this morning. He was just over 3 years old (born on November 7, 2006) and the life of the party. He wasn’t ill at all, but had recently lost partial (if not all) sight in one eye. I noticed the tell-tale cloudiness in his eye about 2 weeks ago, but never noticed any other ill effects. He played just as hard as always, and was just as much of a wheeler as before. More often than not, I’d catch him running his little legs off on his wheel, with his blind eye facing out. He didn’t have a fear in the world.

Last night, I cleaned cages and had a nice chat with Monster. He came right out of his igloo (where he always had a nice tshirt nest built), sat between his dishes and chattered to me as I talked back to him. We ‘talked’ for nearly half an hour while I cleaned and rearranged the cages. I did my last check on the hogs at about midnight, and found him wheeling quite persistently on his wheel.

When I checked on them this morning at about 6am, I found him tucked behind his wheel. He had his head rested on the stand to his wheel and his little legs splayed out in all directions. At first, I thought he was just sleeping as I’d found him in that spot more than once, but when I opened the cage and didn’t hear a hiss… I knew. I’m not sure how long he’d been gone for, as blood hadn’t yet settled… but he was cold and rigor mortis had set in. I spent the next half hour cuddling him while I waited for a vet clinic to open so I could take him in and make arrangements to have him cremated. He will be home in 2 weeks.

Rest in peace, little guy. You will be missed… even your charming habit of biting for no obvious reason. You had more personality than most animals I’ve had the privilege of knowing, and your nightly chatters will be sorely missed. Say hello to Hemi across the Rainbow Bridge, but please, mind your manners. She was double your size, and I’m sure she’s not afraid to give you an attitude adjustment.

Dear Courtney! I am so so sorry! We just chatted about him on Facebook the other day. I am only glad that he took his flight to heaven quickly and without suffering. You will be sad Courtney because you are such a sweet and sensitive young lady. But you should have no regrets my friend. Your hedgies are loved and babied, with every detail of their lives tended to with care. He knows you love him still. Now the adorable and invincible Miss Hemi will pick up where you left off in taking care of little Cuda. Rest well. Your friend, Bridgette

Bridgette - that's the thought that makes it easier to say goodbye. He didn't suffer and he didn't know prolonged pain. His body was tired and he just went peacefully.

The vet clinic laughed at me today, because I was so adament that they clip some quills, "but don't just pull them out! Don't hurt him!" It's a habit of mine to keep something from every deceased pet, and with the hedgehogs, I keep some quills. I guess the vet clinic was very taken aback by how serious I was that they shouldn't hurt him by pulling quills out. He was gone, but I didn't want him to feel any pain. Even on the way to the clinic, I had him wrapped in a blanket and tucked inside my jacket so he wouldn't get cold.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've enjoyed your posts about Cuda's exploits on this board and its forerunner. Talking about bundling him up so he'd stay warm brought tears to my eyes. He was (is?) a much loved hedgie.

Oh, Courtney, I'm so sorry to hear about Cuda. But as you know, he's got many friends waiting for him over the Rainbow Bridge to welcome him. Isn't it amazing how these small, pokey, and sometimes huffy sweet little things can leave such an imprint on our hearts?

RIP, Cuda. Play hard over the bridge.

Hi Courtney, I am so sorry to hear of Cuda's passing. I remember you from way way way back when you had Hemi and how much you loved her, and I had my girls Emily and Abigail. Now they are all together over the Rainbow Bridge. I happened to look at the memorials and when I saw "Cuda" I knew instantly who it was. So very sorry!!!!!

Courtney, reading this brought tears to my eyes.
He's as happy and safe now as he ever was with you, I'm sure.
Take care :)

Back