Chin Afraid of Hammock

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam.Kemp1

Hey everyone,

So- my wife and I just took a chinchilla from a pet shop in Poland about a week ago. We definitely weren’t planning to take a pet while we are here (I play basketball and this season I am playing for a team in Poland) but we saw him sitting in a bad cage in a pet shop in the local mall and he looked so depressed for two weeks as we walked past him each day that we decided we really wanted to give him a better life. He’s a bit tentative around us but he’s been warming up very well over the first week we’ve had him. The only thing that has really confused us is he is morbidly afraid of the hammock we got him. When we try hanging it up he barks and runs in his home and doesn’t come out for a long time. Nothing else makes him act like this, just hanging the hammock up. Is this a common behavior at all or could it be from conditions he was in before we got him?

Thanks for any help!!

New things and change can be scary to chins. My guess though, based on being from a bad situation and his reaction, is maybe they used a cloth of some kind to scoop him up at the pet store, so the hammock might seem like something hovering over about to catch him.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and just don't put a hammock in the cage. Chins don't need hammocks, and not all even like them.

I think he is still in the process of himself be familiar in his new environment. There has been a big shift after you guys have adopted him. It surely takes some time for an animal to feel secure in his new home.

Back