Potty Training - A Stinky Business

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again! Its Rebecca back with Violet and Diamond. I am trying to potty train my two females, Violet and Diamond, and it seems to be working! At least, for one. Violet is the more intelligent one, and has caught on with the potty training, and keeps coming back to the scent. Diamond, the clumsier and less intelligent one, pees all over the place. Next to her food, in the middle of the cage, on the shleves... this potty training has only been going on for about two weeks. How can I help get Diamond with the program?:hmm:

Some chinchillas take longer than others, and some just refuse to use a specific area. Do you have two litter pans?

Most chins will pick a corner to pee in, and you just put the litter box there. You put the box where they want to go not so much where you want them to go, once they get the hang of it then you can move it. Not all chins want to be potty trained though, and it's not like with a cat where not using the litter box is a sign of an issue. Some chins will also use a litter box for awhile and then decide for no apparent reason they don't want to anymore. You could try giving them a litter pan in each corner so Diamond can pick her own pan to pee in. It's possible she doesn't want to pee where Violet has, since Violet is the dominate one.

My current two will literally take two steps from where ever they are and pee. I tried, but gave up after a couple weeks. I do have a litter pan in the cage, where they pee the most (right below their sleeping shelf), it helps, but they still pee everywhere. They do seem to hold it until they are back in the cage though, so I figure that is good enough.

Of the 14 chins I've had over the years I have only had one that was litter trained and she actually came to us that way. She was already an adult when we got her and would only pee on shavings so we had to give her a dish of it to pee in. I didn't even know back then (in the 90s) that they could be litter trained, we thought she was special, lol. All the others we had would hold it until they went back in their cages, most of the time, but that's it.

Back