Getting another chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffychinchilla

I've had my chinchilla, Fluffy, for two weeks. He is my first chinchilla and he has settled in really well. We were advised by the owner to get him alone as he viciously attacked another chinchilla when he was very small. I want to buy another chin at some point because I don't want him to feel lonely, I spend a lot of time with him and he hasn't showed any abnormal behaviours but I feel bad when I'm not there for him since he's alone. I don't want to buy another chinchilla and have him attack it. (If the worst happens what should I do?) I don't know when the best time it is to see how he interacts with another chin, he is 6 months old.

If he has a history of attacking other chins, you should never home him with another. Some chins can be pretty solitary.

I agree if he as attacked before, I'm guessing "vicious" as in blood drawn, he is likely to do it again. If you want a second chin you would need to house it separate and not have them out together. They can probably be caged in the same room though (after the 30 day quarantine period), having a chin neighbor can give them someone to chat chinchilla with, even if they don't live or play together.

Even with chins that have never attacked another, there is no way to know if two chins will get along before you get them together. It's just like taking two random humans and putting them together, not everyone likes everyone else. It also has more to do with personality then with age if they will get along.

Back