Dental Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisweetie

Hi

I have a 4 year old male chinchilla, Ollie. Last month, I noticed that his breath smelled terrible, he wasn't eating, and he was drooling. I took him to the vet. A dental procedure was done and the vet found that Ollie's teeth were very overgrown and he had one very long point which cut into his cheek. His gums were quite inflamed too. All teeth and his points were burred down. We were feeding him critical care and giving him pain medication and antibiotics after. Now it's been a little over 1 month. He is eating some hay and pellets. But I've noticed that he is dropping a lot of his pellets, just like before when his teeth were overgrown. He's not chewing on his sticks like he normally did. I'm starting to get worried. I'm wondering if I need to take him back to the vet again or if healing after a dental procedure takes time before they are "back to normal."He is running on his wheel and around the room like nothing is wrong though. I haven't noticed any bad smell from his mouth but I've noticed that his mouth area is a bit wet sometimes.

Did the vet do x-rays of the head? If not, I would have them done when you take him back. I don't want to scare you but these type of issues on a 4 year old tells me its genetic malocclusion and you need to know what is going on under the gums before moving forward with further treatment.

Unfortunately no x-rays were done. And now just this morning he's biting his tail and a lot of fur at the very bottom is coming off.

So we had the vet visit and they noted Ollie has severe dental disease and will need to have a dental procedure every 5-6 weeks for the rest of his life.

Back