So sad- rooster fighting in my home town

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's so sad. couldn't they go to a farm or something?

They can't go to a farm, because they're trained to fight every bird in sight and usually tend to be very vicious birds. It's horrible.

The man said it is not so much gruesome as it is cruel. WTF? And he says it should be perfectly fine because they eat the chickens that die each night. Ok buddy hope that helps you sleep at night. Jerk.

I've often wondered if they could be rehomed. They only fight other roosters, correct? If someone is willing to take in 1 rooster, can he not be kept with hens? I vaguley remember one show where they did let some cock-fighting birds get adopted..but I think they had to go to a farm where they'd be the only rooster.

Similar to dog fights...most fighting dogs are killed--however many of them COULD be adopted out, if given the chance and put in the right type of home(experienced owner)

Megan, some of them are so aggressive to the point they attack hens as well. And like I said, often times they're people-aggressive too. Roosters can be very very nasty when raised improperly.

I've had a few mean roosters over the years. Some you can handle and others they are just too dangerous to keep around. It's sad that people would use the animals like that.

Roosters aren't like dogs. Even roosters that are raised by humans from the day they hatch can end up with bad attitudes, particularly the "game" breeds that are most often used for fighting. I've seen "pet" roosters go after cats, dogs, goats, children and even adult humans. Roosters that have been bred and trained specifically to attack other birds are not safe to have around. They'll attack hens, other poultry, and are often not afraid to go up against bigger animals or humans.
It's hard enough to rehome a tame, friendly rooster. I imagine it would be nearly impossible to find homes for ill-tempered, trained fighting cocks. And I wouldn't want to risk sending one of those birds to a home where it might attack the family dog or a little kid. They can do more than a little damage when they want to fight.

Back