Cats and Plastic Bags?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
Ok, so, I've gotten the cats crinkly toys, feather things, all sorts of toys. But... Speed constantly tries to eat and attack plastic bags. Obviously, this isn't a safe thing for him to do, I shoo him away, take the bags away, etc. But in some instances that just isn't possible (such as the bag in my trash can). What are some safe alternatives?

My Rodeo loves to chew plastic as well, I have to put groceries away quick. I got the Crinkle Cave from Walmart which he loves, but he's about to outgrow it.

How big is he? Speed's a 9lb cat, and he's all muscle. So, if it's pretty little, well... it wouldn't do him much good lol

My cat loved plastic bags. I know you already said that it isn't a safe toy, but I just want to put this on the table. My cat Gypsy was in love with bags. She ended up eating a piece and getting a major impaction. The vets tried to save her, but she didn't make it through the surgery. Please don't let your kitty anywhere near plastic bags. I wish I would have been more serious about keeping them away.

Hey Ashley, I have 2 cats, Sam and Baxter (they are brothers) anyway Sam loves, loves, LOVES to chew on plastic bags! This drives us nuts. Anytime we're back from the grocery store he comes running so he can chew on the handles of the bags. Baxter doesn't touch them at all, but Sam goes to town. I don't know what the obsession is! It's crazy!

Some plastic bags contain animal products which cats find irresistible. I know, the weird things you learn when you're vegan, right? Anyway, you can either store the plastic bags in a locked cupboard or switch to reusable cloth bags.

Most of the time I get the bags away fairly quickly, but the bag in the trash can is my biggest concern as he also knocks the trashcan over and spills it. It's a little trashcan for in the room, so there's not really anywhere to hide it. I wish he liked paper bags as much. lol

It's in my bedroom, so no sink. Paper bags might be a good idea. But what can I offer him as a toy that would be so enthralling?

My cats have never chewed on plastic bags but they love to sit on them, or to run and dive and slide on them. They are only out right after I put away the groceries, and then I let them play on them with supervision, and then I keep the bags in a cabinet to use later on. I also use a kitchen garbage can that is lidded to keep the animals out.

Is it the sound of the bag that your kitty likes? I don't know what I could suggest that your kitty would like. Mine don't like anything that I purchase for them. But they really like their toy mouse with catnip inside. They carry it around the house and make these yowling noises, like they just killed the poor thing...

I don't know what it is he likes. I thought it was the sound, but he has crinkly toys that make the same sound. He tries to chew on them, and he has 'chew' toys as well. (I'd gotten a suggestion for some on CnQ and bought a few), but nothing seems to work like the bags. I don't feel comfortable letting him play with them, because he's trying to chew on them.

I have some bRats here that love that crinkle'y sound as much as Aneesa* once did, so I picked up a very large sheet of mylar from TAP and I make my own noise'y things for them to romp and stomp through. The fabric pretty much protects them from ingesting the plastic material ..and they don't cost me an arm and a leg either. ;)

*Aneesa was my big phat kitty cat ..she passed 13 months ago

brown paper bags
pill bottle you fill with cat food and put the cap back on, then throw
soda boxes the 12 packs come in
any kind of box period

Mine like aluminum foil rolled into a ball
Pipe cleaners, ends folded inward so not sharp
paper bags
twisty ties for bags

I have a cat that eats plastic bags too. So the rule is: No bags in the house.
Any plastic grocery bags get unpacked and go back out to the car. I don't know of any other "crinkly" sounding toy. My cats love boxes, and some like pingpong balls, catnips always big too. I also have a friend who gives me her parrots tail feathers when they are dropped. Bengal just loves his feathers!!

Our silly cat loves TAPE!! If there is clear packing tape, he will find it. He is so bad about it. I have to hide all Christmas presents far away from the kitty. My Step mom takes fleece and puts plastic in it to make the noise for her cat. She sews it up like a tube, but with the plastic in the middle, Her cat loves it. She occasionally rips apart the fleece but it does last a while. She did use a different fabric, but her kitty didn't like it as much.

I'm pretty sure Rodeo is a Maine Coon, he's not even a year old yet and already bigger than my two girls. I haven't weighed him since he got his rabies shot, but the girls are 9 and 10lbs each and still able to play in it. They're just not as interested in it as Rodeo. =p

Most of the time I get the bags away fairly quickly, but the bag in the trash can is my biggest concern as he also knocks the trashcan over and spills it. It's a little trashcan for in the room, so there's not really anywhere to hide it. I wish he liked paper bags as much. lol

I got the small size trash bags (I think the box says wastepaper basket sized?) - no handles, cat doesn't seem to like them as much. I have the same problem when I use grocery bags for my bedroom garbage.

I don't know of any other "crinkly" sounding toy.
My cat's favorite toy is the crinkly shiny balls... these things: http://www.petco.com/product/8817/PETCO-Small-Mylar-Ball-Cat-Toys.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
She's afraid of the big ones though. Or used to be... haven't tried them in a while...

Back