Spike and the dislike of light

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

So Spike, my oldest, has a serious aversion to light. I mean, yeah, he's nocturnal, but he HATES being in the light. I could understand the sunlight, but this is ALL light... even incandescent. Anytime I bring him out into the living room in the evening, he just hides his head in my hands or tries to burrow in my chest, up my pant leg, whatever he get do to get away from the light. I know it's the light because he doesn't care if his butt is exposed... just not his face.

Anyway, I had the hedgie cages in the living room today and forgot to move them into the bedroom once it got dark outside. About an hour into the evening, Spike woke up and got hungry. But saw that there was light outside his blanket and just stayed hidden in hopes that dark would come soon. I'm assuming he got impatient and shuffled his blanket over to the food bowl. He proceeded to cover his food bowl with the blanket so that he could eat in the dark. I got to watch this whole event... laughing hysterically of course... I finally gave him his wish and put him in the dark bedroom.

Back