Benadryl for Dogs? (And pics of my Chihuahua)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucksAngel28

Ashley
Normally, my chihuahua Lucky an excellent travel dog. My family travels back and forth to grandparents' houses somewhat frequently (they live about 6 hours away), and he will just sleep on our laps. However, he has been getting very anxious lately on trips and doesn't settle as easily; he also starts panting at the slightest sound and sheds a lot. The vet has told us before that we can give him Benadryl if he gets nervous, but we just aren't sure how safe it is/how much to use since he is a small breed (about 13 lbs. - not that small for Chihuahua, but small in the grand scheme of things). He is about 10 years old. Any suggestions?

26May07012.jpg

26May07151.jpg

Cute pics!!

I would call your vet and ask how much you should give him.
Our vet told us to use it for my Pug mix when she has bad allergy attacks. We use a 1/2 of a 25mg tab when she gets bad. She weighs aprox 18 lbs.

I am assuming your vet thinks it will make him tired? The half a pill will make Bug go night night for half the day. We only give it to her if she is having a really bad allergery attack where her eyes are watering and she is snorting and sneezing non stop.

Last edited:
We have a Jack Russell that has awful anxiety during storms and holidays in which there are fireworks. Her vet told me to give her Benadryl. He said 1 mg per pound of dog. It really does help her rest through a storm or fireworks.

Maybe you can try the baby kind? The dosage would be about right for a kid, his weight, you would think. I know my vet told me to give my chinchilla benadryl for a spider bite, and a whole dropper full. She said he should not overdose, but it was a life or death situation there. Look into that though.

Back