Hi from the UK :-)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NexivRed

Hey there. My name is Jen and yesterday I brought home my first ever chinchilla, a 4 month old little girl from a breeder I found. She's sort of a birthday treat to myself, and I've spent the last three days building her cage and kitting it out with everything she needs.

She's settling in well I think but its a little hard to tell. I'm just going in the room she's in to chat to her now and then, but if you've got any other tips to help her settle down and relax I'd be happy to hear.
She hasn't seemed to have chewed on any of her chew things yet or touched her hay, but I can see she's had some pellets.

I haven't given her a name yet as I'm waiting to see what suits. She seems to be very sweet indeed though, and the two times I have held her (at the breeders and putting her in the cage) she's held well and allowed me to snuffle her a bit. Gosh she smells so nice! Can't wait till we bond and can have cuddles :)

Welcome and congrats on your new baby! When I first brought my little guy home he didn't eat or chew much either. Just give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings. Every chin is different, but mine took about two or three weeks to settle in, but he also had to go home with me for Thanksgiving during the process so it set us back.

Hi Jen. Welcome to CnH. I would just sit beside their cage and talk to them a lot. I'd put the flat of my hand up to the cage and let them investigate. After a week of this I'd put my hand in and let them come to me. Offer them a willow stick, they usually love them. After a few weeks mine would climb on my hand and occasionally I would be allowed a little rub along the back. She will warm up to you soon. Good luck and congrats on your little girl.

Welcome to the Community! ^^ I'm sure that with a little bit of time, patience and TLC, she'll warm up to you in no time! :)

Back